Tory MP Chris Pincher resigns over groping allegations; Tamworth by-election will take place today

• Oh my, it gets worse. :scream: I think this will be the finish of Boris, to be honest.
1 Like

Seeing that Sajid Javi and Rishi Sunak have resigned just now, I’d say Pixie is correct.

2 Likes

The house of cards is falling, Johnson will have to resign imo, trouble is it plays right into the hands of remainers, wheres the opposition when you want one, flip flopping over brexit.

1 Like

Thanks weendey … I shall check that out … :+1:

I just saw that, @wendeey oh my word…:scream:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-62048657

Javid: PM has lost my confidence

We now have a bit more from Sajid Javid’s letter of resignation as a member of Boris Johnson’s government.

He starts saying: “It was a privilege to have been asked to come back into government to serve as Secretary of State for Health & Social Care at such a critical time for our country.”

But, he adds: "We [Conservative party] may not have always been popular, but we have been competent in acting in the national interest. Sadly, in the current circumstances, the public are concluding that we are now neither.

"The vote of confidence last month showed that a large number of our colleagues agree.

“I regret to say, however, that it is clear to me that this situation will not change under your leadership and you have therefore lost my confidence too.”

Rishi Sunak has just resigned from the cabinet.

In his letter he says “the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously”.

He adds: “I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning”.

Sunak says “our country is facing immense challenges”.

"I publicly believe the public are ready to hear that truth. Our people know that if something is too good to be true then it’s not true. They need to know that whilst there is a path to a better future, it is not an easy one.

“In preparation for our proposed joint speech on the economy next week, it has become clear to me that our approaches are fundamentally too different.”

“I am sad to be leaving government but I have reluctantly come to the conclusion that we cannot continue like this”, he adds.

1 Like

If he doesn’t do it himself, will the queen intervene? I’m not sure how these things work…

I don’t know, he can’t go to the PMQ’s tomorrow surely .

1 Like

He’ll be chatting to an empty room at this rate :joy:

It’ll be full to the rafters of bear baiters .

Gosh - Johnson may be gone by the time I get back to Blighty :+1:

With those Senior cabinet members resigning, I’m sensing there may be a bit of Cabinet manoeuvring going on to get rid of Johnson and line up one of the others to take his place before Johnson causes any more damage - they must know that all their jobs would be on the line if they let the Joker carry on.

BJ “apologised” … but it’s to little, too late:

Boris Johnson has apologised for appointing Chris Pincher to a government role after being told about a misconduct complaint against the MP.

The PM admitted he had been told about the complaint in 2019 - but had made a “bad mistake” by not acting on it.

1 Like

In reality the old lizard has no power.

1 Like

Yeah, and she always strikes me as not really knowing what she is doing either…I don’t want to be mean, but she isn’t exactly quick, is she?

I couldn’t wait to fire up the laptop tonight to see what everyone was saying about this latest development…
Looks like Omah was right all the time…
:astonished:

Conservative councillor Daniel Cook told Channel 4 News that Mr Pincher, who has been suspended as a Tory MP, had groped him in 2005 and 2006.

Mr Cook, deputy mayor at Tamworth Council in Staffordshire, where Mr Pincher is an MP, said he had lodged a complaint with the Conservative Party.

Another tip to the iceberg … :open_mouth:

1 Like

now let me see if I have got this straight?:

1. all our elected ministers in parliament who go around chatting away with each other ; having drinks at the bars and groping away and if complained about and often get away with it whilst

2. the rest of us in private life - working as bank managers down to the lowly dock workers are not allowed to drink alcohol at work and not allowed to go around groping each other?
    and

3. She up there who must be obeyed doesn’t not whether she is martha or arthur or head of the church of not and can drink when she bloody well feels like? and can have a scratch when she wants?

can some check my spelling I would hate to mislead you all?

pleb

Seems a fair appraisal to me Gumbud, what happens in a private club should stay in the private club…Hence the name…

I disagree.
The Carlton Club used to be The Conservative Central Office and although they have moved their Central Office, the Club is still used for political discussions in a social setting.
Membership of The Carlton Club almost goes hand in hand with the job of being a Tory MP, so it’s rather like an extension of their workplace, with Ministers, MPs and Party Managers gathering there for political discussions.

People should not have to put up with being groped by drunks, just because it’s a private members club.
Members still have to obey the law and behave decently or they deserve to be called out on their behaviour and deal with the consequences.

The former Prime Minister Arthur Balfour was a reluctant member of the The Carlton Club, complaining of the club in the early 1900s.

“The Carlton is a beastly club… but it must be suffered like long hours and constituents as a necessary though disagreeable accompaniment of a political career.”

(My answer to the other two complaints he made would be - if you don’t like the hours or dealing with Constituents, don’t stand for election as an MP!)

2 Likes

It was just a throwaway comment Boot. But these private clubs do seem to conjour up a sleazy picture from what has gone off in the past…
:flushed:

1 Like