Rishi Sunak and Sajid Javid quit Cabinet in wake of Chris Pincher row

Continuing the discussion from Tory deputy chief whip resigns after ‘drunkenly groping two men’:

Rishi Sunak has quit as chancellor and Sajid Javid has resigned as health secretary as Boris Johnson’s leadership faced a fresh crisis.

Mr Sunak said ‘the public rightly expect government to be conducted properly, competently and seriously’, adding: ‘I believe these standards are worth fighting for and that is why I am resigning.’

In an incendiary letter published minutes earlier, Mr Javid said the British people ‘expect integrity from their government’ but voters now believed Mr Johnson’s administration was neither competent nor ‘acting in the national interest’.

The resignations came as Mr Johnson was forced into a humiliating apology over his handling of the Chris Pincher row after it emerged he had forgotten about being told of previous allegations of ‘inappropriate’ conduct.

1 Like

&Omah, thanks for starting that, I tried but give up with the tags, its easier not to bother.

4 Likes

No problem … :+1:

There will be massive repercussions to these resignations … :astonished:

2 Likes

Liz Truss is reportedly “100% behind the PM”. I hope she never gets to be in power because if she thinks BJ’s behaviour is A-Ok, we are doomed even more than we are already… :frowning_face:

4 Likes

Holy Norah! :exploding_head:

When Truss has got your back, you know you’re in trouble.

4 Likes

Is she carrying a knife … :dagger:

3 Likes

I couldn’t possibly comment :innocent:

I’m getting updates from the Guardian here

1 Like

Indeed one is bearable but two, and they’re pretty high profile at that, wonder what Sunac meant when he says :

“In preparation for our proposed joint speech on the economy next week, it has become clear to me that our approaches are fundamentally too different.”

So when will the betting for Johnson’s successor start .

1 Like

Already:

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-prime-minister

:wink:

1 Like

She would be! She’s so scared of losing her position.
Doesn’t she realise, she’s laughed at by Putin and other leaders, l’m sure.

I’m listening to Andrew Marr on LBC and they’ve contacted majority of cabinet and they all say they’re staying. But they can’t track down Nadhim Zahawi so don’t know about him and as he’s one who’s supposedly going to put his name forward, wouldn’t mind betting he does too.

Think he’ll have trouble replacing any of the cabinet members.

“You can fool all of the people some of time; you can fool some of the people all of the time, but you can’t fool all the people all the time.”

Attributed to Abraham Lincoln in The New York Times, August 27, 1887.

2 Likes

I suppose in reality, Boris is nothing without Dominic Cummings.
Interfering wife Carrie was the beginning of the end for Boris.
Listening to her, was a huge mistake.

5 Likes

But come what may, Boris has destroyed himself, the other half wits in the commons on the opposition benches can’t can’t claim any success.

1 Like

Another Minister not member of the cabinet has resigned, Morrisson or something.

That’s quite seismic, looks like being a long night in Downing Street…

Apparently he’s drawing up his new cabinet at the moment.