Introduction to Drum & Bass

Continuing the discussion from What are you starting to like less and less the older you get?:

Blasphemy @Bathsheba :lol:

I love D&B, it is the only type of music that has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up :007: There’s something magical about it (especially if you have a nice sound system, i.e with subwoofer) because the technicians and producers spend a lot of time on effort on getting the lower frequencies spot on - you’re not just meant to hear the bass, you’re meant to feel it - and it’s the only type of music really where you actually feel a part of it, because those frequencies pull you in and take you on a (sometimes emotional) journey. Copious amounts of red wine can also help :lol:

As much as I personally love D&B, I also know it is also very misunderstood, so I just wanted to post this for you or anyone else who might be interested in giving it a try.

D&B is a British genre, but is influenced by or has sub-types of almost every other genre - if you like jazz, classical, piano music, opera, or in fact any other genre you’ll find a flavour of it in D&B, and you’ll often find mixes of drum and bass that incorporate classic tracks too (such as in the second video below).

Here are a couple of mixes you might like :blush: (or not, that’s totally ok - not everyone ‘gets’ or can appreciate D&B):

Camo & Krooked - Symphony with Christian Kolonovits and the Max Steiner Orchestra

Youtube Music link: YouTube Music
Spotify link: Spotify
Apple Music link: https://music.apple.com/de/album/red-bull-symphonic/1507172719?uo=4

Or, if you fancy something more like dance music, you might like this…

Camo & Krooked - Pete Tony essential mix on BBC Radio 1

There would be too many tracks to list but these are probably some of the more mainstream ones. If you have a nice sound system (i.e with a sub-woofer) you are probably more likely to appreciate it, unlike ‘pop’ music, that is designed for everyone (and has to sound ‘ok’ on every type of listening device, whether it is small cheap headphones or a little bedside radio) D&B is for those who value the experience and appreciate the sound scape (so more likely with good hi-fi systems). But give it a try anyway, you might like it :003:

3 Likes

WOW!!! Azz!!..that was absolutely “ Awesome “ listening to that orchestra!..very, very, talented indeed, …the music was so “ powerful “…:+1:

1 Like

I’m so pleased you like it Pauline :smiley:

Give the second one a go too, it’s got snippets of Johnny Cash in it as well :003:

1 Like

@Azz … good man.

will listen to those later.

I’ve loved Drum & Bass since before it was a music genre. It’s music’s soul.

1 Like

You’re in for a treat then David! I love both of those mixes :smiley:

Be sure to turn up the volume :003:

I am afraid these two videos wouldn’t play for me, so l googled D&B to see if l could get anything on YouTube. Instead, it took me to an advert and then a clip about how to recycle your bra!!

Azz, is it music you could play your ‘air guitar’ along with? :laughing:

I will have another search and report back, with my findings.

1 Like

I have tried but it’s not my cup of tea.I prefer something more melodious like Massive Attack.

1 Like

Try this link @Artangel: YouTube Music or if that doesn’t work, try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d60Fpm0ucN4 - what does it show you when you click on those?

I like Massive Attack too :smiley:

2 Likes

Does nothing for me I am afraid, drumming for me begins and ends with John Bonham rather than a couple of galahs that don’t know which way to put their hat on.

Drum solos are pretty boring, you can only get away with them live Ginger Baker was one of the best (despite being a pig of a person)

1 Like

Maybe if I was totally deaf and had to rely purely on vibrations, it might be of some value. But for anyone who is not tone deaf and has some hearing, alas …

2 Likes
2 Likes

You’ve got your genres mixed up @d00d - those are more like reggae :lol:

D&B is usually 170 BPM+ (not always but usually)

*BPM = beats per minute

I wondered why I liked them.Now I would call that dub but I don’t know ?

1 Like

D & B is very listenable … I like it … and I like lounge music for real relaxing and chilling but if I want to ‘throb’ I listen to this one.

2 Likes

but I lost count.

:crazy_face:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Subwoofers - have you got one?

Fabio and Grooverider, two of the original pioneers of drum and bass from its inception, also have been doing shows with the Outlook orchestra, very successfully, with most if not all shows sold out
There are many videos on you tube from previous performances, ranging from single tunes to whole hour sets, they will be performing again this year (2024)

The original tune from DJ SS

1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes