How to use and look after Cast Iron / Carbon Steel pans?

I’ve got a set of real cast iron pans that I never use because I don’t really understand them

If I’m not allowed to give them a good scrub with washing up liquid and a scourer, how do I know if they’re clean? You can’t see, because they’re black :woman_shrugging:

When they talk about building up a “patina” do they mean a layer of burned on fat? Because I think that’s a bit gross!

1 Like

Maree, go onto YouTube, plenty of tutorials on there, on how to keep them clean and looking brand new.:+1:

1 Like

Yes I think you’re supposed to just let the grime accumulate and it adds to the flavour? Yum yum! I have a John Lewis cast iron pan that I rarely use for the same reason. Also it’s blinking heavy.

2 Likes

No… there’s a difference between patina and gunge :wink:

2 Likes

Is there, though? What is it? Patina seems to be burned on oil?

1 Like

That might apply to woks, as far as cast iron is concerned just scrub it up big time with some wire wool, add some coconut oil, get it smoking hot and rub in the oil over every inch of your pan with kitchen towel.

Rust is not your friend !

1 Like

I wash them in plain hot water with a bristle brush, then give them a quick wipe with a cloth that I have to dry them. The pans are then returned to the hob and heated up until hot, and a small amount of oil is then added. I use another lint-free cloth to wipe the oil round the pan and when the cloth appears clean, job done. Allow pans to cool down. Because cast-iron is semi porous when heated up, the clean oil soaks in, causing a non-stick patina. It doesn’t hurt to recondition the pans from time to time.

1 Like

Here’s how to season carbon steel pans:

And cast iron:

:023:

Hi

Thanks for that Azz, brilliant videos which explain how easy it is to do.

I don’t have non stick teflon etc cooking pans

Simplicity is best, avoid chemicals whenever you can.

Which is why I grow my own.

2 Likes

:rofl: You grow your own frying pans? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Here’s a horror story!
A cheap as chips carbon steel wok.
It’s been left in a kitchen cupboard for several months hence the the rust.
I’m going to remove the corrosion and hang on to that lovely dark patina.

2 Likes

… might be useful for hitting intruders over the head.

2 Likes

Is it just me? I can see a swan in the bottom of that wok.

1 Like

swan turd?

1 Like

Stop calling me that :rofl::rofl:

… not the first time then?

1 Like

Not many swans around here, we ain’t that posh!

I think there’s a law against wokking swans.

Stop taking the piss out of my wok you lot!

1 Like

All you cast iron users must have muscles like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

2 Likes