How To Season Carbon Steel Pans (De Buyer)

There’s a video guide here, but posting the screens from it to make it easier to follow on a phone (as I needed to do it earlier and it was a pain having to pause the video!)

And here’s the video again:

If anyone’s interested, I used beef dripping for the oil.

I have a wok that I use a lot that is similarly seasoned. Personally I am less fussy, I just heated it up until the oil sizzled took it of the heat and used a paper towel to wipe the oil all over the hot surface. Then let it cool then heat it again to a lesser heat until is is virtually “dry”

My cast iron skillets are treated in much the same way.

2 Likes

I don’t like the smell of smoking oil .
It hangs around for days clinging to everything even with the extractor on.

Maybe it’s a job for the BBQ next summer

1 Like

Type of oil can make a difference Ripple, I once tried flaxseed oil (which some people think is the best oil for seasoning) but what a mistake!! The smell is awful and it stays on the pan!! I had to scrub it off and re-season! :078:

1 Like

Spot on Bruce…and a some fine grade wire wool to remove any rust prior to reconditioning.

1 Like

Have you tried coconut oil Azz?
It comes in various grades, I’ve never used the pricier stuff but you can bump up the temperature without fear of horrible smells.

1 Like

I don’t think I have for seasoning, but I recently bought a bigger pan in the sales and have used… butter! But this time I did it in the oven, but forgot to turn it upside down so now it has streaks :lol:

Hoping a few more attempts will even it all out. It’s definitely a ‘nicer’ coating tho, comes out almost golden :smiley:

1 Like