Do you own your own box of crayons?

No, because yes they are expensive…I have some Prismacolor (charity shop, years ago…clearly didn’t know they were donating artistic gold.) I have some Derwent…they are nice…smooth and they layer well. :+1:

I am oh so tempted to treat myself … I fancy seeing if I can draw animals again.
I was hopeless at portraits of people (unless I left out their faces …hee…hee) but could do a decent dog or bird or eagle and just now I’m mad about owls.

I remember in my infant school we had those big thick crayons that were collected at the end of Mrs Motherwells class. But when we became older we were given like a tin cigar box in which we could keep the thin crayons we used. Always noticed how little bits of crayons would stick to the other crayons as if they were tiny coloured freckles.

1 Like

Last time I owned a box of crayons, this innovation had just come about. Sometimes the simplest ideas are genius.
b2yb595p5vwy

5 Likes

I remember an old cookie tin with a mishmash of broken crayons, many with bits of paper hanging off them. I’m trying to remember how they got that way and what I was doing with them.

Haha. I still can’t figure out how that works. Where do the shavings go?

2 Likes

Same for me, Danny. I was often outside playing or interacting with friends, not using my crayons much after I turned 7 or so.

When my grandkids were young, I would color with them and draw, but I used their box of crayons. I guess I’m still too busy being outside and interacting with friends to sit still and color. If I am still, I am reading a book or Time magazine. :laughing:

3 Likes

My entire childhood. Unless it was bad weather, and then we’re talking about how bad, we were outside. Back then there was more to do outside than in. :smiley: :smiley:

2 Likes

Crayons no, but I have boxes of acrylic paint pens. I do a lot of painting on rocks. Leave them in various places on my dog walks and often find some that I either take home or move to another spot. Do them for all sorts of occasions, NHS, Covid, poppy day, Halloween, independence, and cartoon characters.

3 Likes

You might have been melting them to make a super crayon? One made with rainbows :rainbow:

1 Like

There’s a flap at the rear, or rather there used to be … not sure if the sharpener is even available these days. … … oh, wait a minute, yes, its still available
Crayola, 64 Count, Color Crayons With Crayon Sharpener | eBay

1 Like

I’m sure they go into a little box at the bottom? I haven’t had one of those fancy boxes, way too posh for me :flushed:

1 Like

I remember wanting to do that very badly. I can’t remember if I actually did or not. I have a vague recollection of a tiny tin plate that heated up, but not too hot. But not sure how the crayon got shaped.

That reminds me of another thing I did when I was a kid. I would pour Elmer’s glue into molds, let them dry and take out the impressions. There used to be a cup that McDonald’s had that had impression of the characters. . .the hamburglar, etc. I used those as molds.

Ah, those were the days. . . :heart_decoration:

I’m fairly sure I have one. I’ll have to go check it out.

Oh wait. . . I was going to say that my current box of 100 crayons doesn’t have one, but it does!!!

OK, looked at it. . . still don’t get it. Yes, there’s a compartment for the shavings. but the way the box is constructed, you’d have to stretch the box to almost ripping to open that compartment.

lol, these new-fangled contraptions. (I’ve had this box of crayons for over a decade).

Edit: still looking at it. Took the crayons out. Nope, still don’t see how that helps. It’s also not like the box is airtight. You’d probably have shavings dropping everywhere.

1 Like

What a good idea. You are basically putting your artwork out into the community for others to enjoy.

I don’t have any artistic ability, but I have 36+ tubes of acrylic paint in a starter kit and an idea I had of doing a Stone Age like painting of one of their wall paintings of a bison. Might try it over Christmas for something to do.

3 Likes

Not just me, it goes on all over the UK. This wee cartoon puffin is my all time favourite I love it to bits and would never part with it.

3 Likes

Acrylic paint pens … they’re a new one on me.
Painting rocks sounds fun.

Edited to Add: Ah, just seen you cute puffing. Lovely.

Please share, if you care to, if you decide to do this. Sounds fun!

1 Like

It’s become a popular thing the last few years. :wink:

2 Likes

Sounds ambitious and certainly a bit different doesn’t it.

1 Like

Oh … I just went all shivery down my spine … damn, something else to add to my pampering and personal extravagance wishlist.
It’s a great idea and I can imagine them dotted around a little shallow pond or bird bath.

3 Likes

The kids in the village started doing it here, they were all at it and you were finding the stones everywhere. Some I loved and took home for my garden, I decided to join in and I’ve been doing them on n off ever since. Some are done by fantastic artists I’ve seen the finds on FB but I’ve not found one of those treasures…yet.

1 Like