What did you do for fun outside when you were a child?

Continuing the discussion from Do you own your own box of crayons?:

This brought back so many memories.

I remember riding my red tricycle down the sidewalk. I was a speed demon on that tricycle.

Then I got a training wheels bike that had the training wheels removed.

I flew kites. I loved the cellophane gliders. They flew the highest.

I played touch and tackle football. I played basketball a lot.

Then there was just plain running up and down a neighbor’s hill. The height of entertainment. :laughing:

What did you do outside for fun when you were a child?

3 Likes

I cycled, played sports like badminton, volleyball, or swimming. I loved wandering around the countryside exploring. I didn’t have many friends, but wasn’t ever lonely as a child. I loved sitting under trees (or climbing them), reading books and drawing (making maps usually) I flew kites on occasion and made little dens for the wildlife. Good times.

4 Likes

Tree climbing, making dens in the bushes on Hampstead Heath, playing “two balls” against the wall, running the roofs in Cholmley Garden ( leaping from one garage roof to another with the caretaker after us!) making Fairy gardens, skipping with the big rope, “round the mount” where your team had to take possession of a small hill and the other team had to stop you, Red Rover, elastics, paddling in Whitestone pond, kite flying on Parliament hill

4 Likes

Climbed trees, swung on the old rope hanging from the old oak tree over the pond in the farmers field. Played with my Action men … I often took them out into Mum’s rockery for survival training adventures.

I remember for ages I had a thing for standing sentry at the top of the drive with a garden cane over my shoulder so I could demand the password of the day from my dad as he came home from work and I’d point my bayonet,(garden cane) at him demanding sweets if he got it wrong.
Ah, happy days. Some memories just stay with you, don’t they.

3 Likes

Hop scotch on the pavements, we used to use bits of coal to do the numbers and the OXO on the pavements cos we didn’t have chalk. Also playing jacks and skipping with friends, often what we called French skipping with elastic bands knotted together.

1 Like

Knock down ginger :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

What’s that? Sounds ominous.

3 Likes

It is picking a house to knock their front door and then Run for your Life…
Easy for me…ok hop scotch was a favorite, but we had chalk and neighbours would come outside and keep throwing buckets of water over the squares so then we could not play… :disappointed:
so that is how knock down ginger became very popular with the kids

5 Likes

Chap door run, we called it up here in Scotland :joy: That was good fun.

2 Likes

As a child, I played with tadpoles a lot!
In little puddles in the fields on my way home from school …I spent hours playing with them in the palm of my hand! Loved those little babies!

At home, I was always in the garden - in the mud - making little mud cakes and mud food with shredded leaves. All cooked on my stove which was actually a pair of clicker bricks :brick: my culinary delights were served to my make believe family on a set of leaves :leaves: with tiny sticks serving as cutlery.

I’d camp :tent: out in the garden - when mum was at work and quickly get rid of the ‘tent’ before she got home.

Stargazing- I spent a lot of time looking up at the stars and learnt about Astronomy. Halley’s Comet got me hooked. I always wished I’ll live long enough to see it again.

Art - I spent a lot of time sketching and studied Art up to Senior High School.

Roller skating until I fractured my wrist :roll_eyes:

Hide and go seek
Hopscotch
Jump rope
Soccer
Cricket
Badminton
Swingball
Swimming
Fishing
Guy Fawkes - all good memories!
In case you didn’t guess already, I was a Tomboy!

:grinning:

4 Likes

All of the above, climbing trees, and lighting fires.

1 Like

Guy Fawkes in SA ???

I did all of the above except the girls things.Hopscotch and skipping looked too complicated for me.

3 Likes

Weird hey :thinking:

And men wonder why women are excellent at multitasking :069:

3 Likes

Very.They don’t have it here.

1 Like

Most of the playground names mentioned including marbles & a running game, think it was called Tag.
Cycled, I could ride the whole length of our road without touching the handle bars. :grinning:
Rode horses, at a local riding school, well, they were ponies in those days.
Fished in the local stream for Caddisfly Lava. We would remove their boring brown homes & put pretty beads & stones in the water & they made their homes from those, then we’d put them back in the stream. There was also a rope & wood swing over the water from bank to bank, but I was never brave enough to use it. Made dens in the undergrowth in the park, it wasn’t a cultivated park, much more wild then. They did tame it eventually but after I’d grown out of all that.
Raced around the park on our bikes. Walkers hated us. :grinning:
We spent most of the time outdoors & only went home for meals in the holidays.
Radio, I listened to lots of BBC radio progs, Dick Barton, Mrs Dales Diary, Listen with mother, tho usually on my own, to name a few. Then I discovered Radio Luxembourg & pop music. :grinning: Got a Transistor radio for a present & cost my Dad a fortune in batteries. :grinning: Then in 1952 we got TV, but I still listened to the radio as well.

2 Likes

Defying grandparents and playing in bombsite rubble … yes, a right little scallywag :grin:

wow what good question. I suppose the main one was getting hold of pram wheels and a couple of planks of wood and making what we called a" dandy". steering was a couple of bits of string on the front cross wood that pivoted on a bolt. went down the hill with shoes as brakes,had many hours of fun. also bicycle “HE” to see who could stay on a bike stationary before putting a foot down. Torchlight “he” friends hiding in bushes and spotting them in the torch beam. Going down to the River Wandle and catching sticklebacks by hand. We had to improvise and make do, way back it the early 50’s

1 Like

no women they are not good at multi tasking, if they were they could have sex and a headache at the same time

2 Likes