Do you have any ideas/plans for saving power?

Even if we take steps, we are paying more due to standing order increases as I understand it so I am going to consider some options maybe heating turned down, or on for less time also lights turned off and standby a thing of the past and then carry on as normal and see where my bills go this winter.

Absolutely Kazz. Even turning down the heating etc is still going to produce an inflated bill due the sharp rise in the standing charge. The governments over the last thirty years or so have failed to plan ahead for this crisis and still carried on inviting people into this country and building more and more houses. What did they think was going to happen? So now they hike up the price of energy, blame it on Putin, and tell us to use less, and it’s all our fault for using too much. I think we should all use more electricity until we are cut off and ask the government “What are you going to do about it” We elect a government, and all they have to do are a few simple jobs…Make sure everyone has reliable utilities, well maintained roads, and an efficient transport system etc, and they go and blow our money on useless projects and wars in other countries.
When the heating and lights go off in Westminster they’ll bloody well do something about it!
rant over!

2 Likes

more! more!

Vote for Foxy

2 Likes

As the days are unfolding here in Newbury, it looks like I will be staying with my son, from Monday to Friday come the really cold months.

I shall just leave one storage heater on, to heat the whole of my house, I was without storage heaters for quite a while and the place got very damp here,…as soon as I had the heaters installed,I noticed a huge change in the atmosphere, I could feel the place drying out…much nicer and healthier I believe.

I will be saving a lot of power by staying with my son,:+1:

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Heat Pumps - how do they work? Anyone got one?

5 posts were split to a new topic: Energy/Appliance Usage Charts - please add any you find here!

Heating the house for one is going to be harsh as only one pension coming in , where there are two living in one home at least there are or should be two pensions or incomes to make it easier . Worrying times

1 Like

Underfloor heating is hugely disruptive - is that the main part of the cost - pulling up boards and relaying a floor? If you have a concrete floor/tiles etc

There was a woman I saw online who shared a power saving tip and had a heated air dryer. It was a good tip, until she mentioned she had underfloor heating and a giant skylight in her gigantic kitchen! Poor woman got pelters for it :frowning_face:

For my situation we did not consider putting in underfloor heating - it seems like new builds are the only way to get this in place without massive effort & costs. The quote for our place was using existing wall mounted radiators.

1 Like

Underfloor heating installation deffo not for the faint hearted.

But when I lived in London the last place we had was a flat with underfloor heating. This was back before recent mad hikes in electricity costs. There was an incentive not to pick up clothes from the bedroom floor in the winter - they lay there overnight and got pre-heated for the morning.

1 Like

There’s deffo an argument for buying/building a tall bunk bed and sleeping near the ceiling. :wink:

2 Likes

The watching daytime TV thread gave me an idea … we have a TV in our sitting room (as most people do) but we never watch it. It currently has an armchair hiding it. It’s been on standby for a couple of years. So I’ve just unplugged it … might save a bob or two.

A heated air dryer is a great idea! I will have to look that up. :+1:

1 Like

My brother installed this as part of a major refurb of their house. It took months and months of planning and disruption, dust and having to pack up everything and move out etc.

Must also be complex if you have pets. Because they may not appreciate a heated floor as much as we do. (thinking of dogs in particular)

I always turn off tvs on standby at the power source. These days so many don’t have an off switch (don’t start me off on that discussion!). But your post made me wonder, what about things like riser recliners and reclining armchairs and sofas which are plugged in. Do they have any draw on power when not in use or are they just like a lamp?

The recliners use power when you adjust the move the seat. That’s usually just a few seconds. A lamp is continuously on for the duration when you are watching television.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering …

when you open your fridge door, cold air falls to the floor. What’s the difference £££ in doing it 10 times/day or 30 times/day???

It costs more energy.

1 Like