Energy/Appliance Usage Charts - please add any you find here!

Help! Someone posted a really good diagram of how much power appliance use and now I can’t find it!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Sorry, it wasn’t on here I saw it, ‘‘twas elsewhere! But I thought it was the easiest to understand I’ve seen. It will vary a bit depending on the brand of appliance you have, but as a general guide

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-09-02/price-breakdown-how-much-will-it-cost-to-run-appliances-in-uk-energy-crisis?leadSource=uverify%20wall

3 Likes

Click twice to enlarge.

4 Likes

OMG I just looked at the chart posted by Maree.

81p per hour!!

3 Likes

You can buy a power meter from any parts store or off Ebay, I have a couple they will tell you how many watts the applience is actually using and over time how many kW/h it uses. The cost of 1 Kw/h should be on your electricity bill

That’s obviously an Australian one but they would be available with UK sockets.

They are very handy when the device turns it self on and off for example like a thermostatically controlled heater for example. They have several screens and tell you voltage, cost, current, power consumption even things like CO2 produced (?)

No good for devices permanently wired in of course but I find them really handy.

2 Likes

There are plenty on Amazon(uk) for around £20-£40 ish. Ta

1 Like

Hi

Many thanks to all who have posted, very useful.

1 Like

Looks like that tells you how much power is coming through a single socket?

I rather liked the device that was being dished out to all pensioners in London about ten years ago:

A crocodile clip on power cable next to metre, a portable wireless little box, not much bigger than a pack of cigs, will tell you the total being used at any one time. It would tick away slowly … then when kettle goes on the number would race up. Fun at first, but couldn’t be bothered to replace the batteries when it died after about a year.

1 Like

I was pleased to see a thread like this started.

I would like to know which of these appliances are the cheapest to use… a Panasonic microwave/convection oven, a Tefal mini air fryer, a Team Visi Cook Air Chef Halogen oven.
Also, do breadmakers (Panasonic) use a lot of electricity?

2 Likes

I would get one of those energy meters Art - because I don’t trust manufacturers figures! I bought an infra lamp that was supposed to be 100w, yet it draws 150w!!

Looks like this is one of the cheapest you can get:

(I know this doesn’t answer your question but I hope it helps)

2 Likes

Hi

I agree Totally Azz.

If you are at all concerned about Smart Meters this is the way to go.

Once you have used it and minimised your usage, just loan it to family and friends.

3 Likes

How much energy do those plug in meters use? :wink::joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for that, Azz.
I will look into it and see if it’s something that l will be able to understand!

1 Like

This one might be better - it is dispatched from Amazon so should be easier to return if there are any issues:

The only reading you need really is the power consumption in watts, as once you know that it should give you an idea of how much energy it is using and more easily compare it to other items.

Here’s some tests I did:

• My TV draws 60 to 140w (so varies on the scene) and my PS5 draws an almost continuous 220w :icon_eek: :044:

• My music system draws about 30w - which is good because I have it on pretty much all day :lol:

@Artangel If you look at Omah post and double click it tells you at the very bottom how to work out your usage?

I suppose you could as well check your meter reading then only change you make is to switch on /use your combi for example cook as normal and then take a reading leaving everything else as is

2 Likes

If I were you Arty I would purchase one of those single socket meters that Azz and some other posters have recommended, they are more accurate than any other method. But bear one thing in mind when coming to a conclusion about energy usage. Although a kettle uses a lot of power but an electric clock or a lightbulb uses miniscule amounts in comparison. A kettle takes just a few minutes to boil, whereas an electric clock is drawing power 24/7.
Example: 6 amps for 3 minutes = 0.3 amp/hour …0.3 amps continuous = 0.3 amp/hour and is the same price.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s like the comparison with slow cookers and bread makers

We need to multiply by the hours it takes to cook and work out if six hours in the slow cooker costs less than one hour on the hob

2 Likes

Your sockets look unhappy Bruce

1 Like

They always reminds me of “The Scream”

2 Likes