Do you have any ideas/plans for saving power?

My brother installed this as part of a major refurb of their house. It took months and months of planning and disruption, dust and having to pack up everything and move out etc.

Must also be complex if you have pets. Because they may not appreciate a heated floor as much as we do. (thinking of dogs in particular)

I always turn off tvs on standby at the power source. These days so many don’t have an off switch (don’t start me off on that discussion!). But your post made me wonder, what about things like riser recliners and reclining armchairs and sofas which are plugged in. Do they have any draw on power when not in use or are they just like a lamp?

The recliners use power when you adjust the move the seat. That’s usually just a few seconds. A lamp is continuously on for the duration when you are watching television.

1 Like

I’ve been wondering …

when you open your fridge door, cold air falls to the floor. What’s the difference £££ in doing it 10 times/day or 30 times/day???

It costs more energy.

1 Like

Do you know what I have never thought so much about switching an appliance or anything/something on as I am at the moment, getting bored of myself, going to carry on as I see fit to live happily and see what the bills do

1 Like

My guess is that briefly opening the fridge door will not have a major impact on the energy the fridge uses - provided the fridge is pretty well stocked. The latent thermal mass of the cold goods in the fridge should keep the overall fridge temperature down even if the door is opened for a bit. But I’ve no specifics on this but my recommendation would be to keep the fridge very well stocked with cold liquids, such as beer, and only open the door briefly, to take a bottle or two of beer out.

2 Likes

You have beer cold??!!

I prefer my IPA chilled. But then again it was 29 deg here this afternoon so surely a cold beer is a thing of beauty when its hot?

1 Like

Hey Strathmore, you should be in politics, or sales.

Me too, erm, I think. Carry on regardless. Should bills double, I will cut back on meals out, holidays, or something. But I refuse to live my life unplugging the TV at night to save 2p

5 Likes

At 11.30 tonight I noticed I’d left my iron turned on ever since I did some ironing yesterday afternoon. :worried:

So much for saving power eh?

It was on for 34 hours!! Can anybody tell me how much it has cost please? :sob:

34 x 81p = £27.54

But in reality you’ll probably pay a fraction of that.

Irons, the ones that I know, have a light that comes on when heating up, burning electricity. When the light is off it’s not costing you anything.

Plus you have to assume that 81p is an exaggerated figure.

1 Like

Bring back witch burning?

1 Like

21 posts were split to a new topic: How do you dry your clothes? (Split from energy saving ideas thread)

In terms of plans to save power, I’ve ordered some thermal curtain liners from dunelm today. They are relatively cheap and have good reviews so fingers crossed.

1 Like

The unit cost per 16.6 p/kWh but as d00d says it is intermittent. And it is energy rather than power you need to consider.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Warm bedding? What do you use? (Split from money saving thread)

Well I am planning to duct tape bubble wrap onto the window frames. Anything to keep Jack Frost out.

1 Like

@AnnieS Good luck

1 Like