Do you have any ideas/plans for saving power?

And the Instant Pot, a good real energy saver.

Go to the tropics for a couple of months guaranteed good weather.
Unless there is a tsunami or something .

2 Likes

Unfortunately even when you go away and use no gas and electric you will still receive a sizeable bill due to the increase in the daily standing charge.

Yes the standing charge has risen considerably…Why is that?

A member of my family told me she and a friend had decided to go off to Antigua for 3 months just after Christmas - she said the money she saved on gas and electricity over the Winter months would cover the cost of the trip!
When she told me the cost of her air fare and the cost of 3 months rental for the lovely holiday house she has chosen, I had to laugh at her claim that her savings on energy bills would cover it! - then she discovered the exorbitant cost of travel / health insurance for a 90 day policy for a 75 year old - that nearly gave her a heart attack!

She certainly won’t be saving money but she will have lots of relaxing sunshine to top up her Vitamin D and beat the Winter Blues.

1 Like

There are very few 75 year olds brave enough to head off to places like Antigua for 3 months. Good on her. Even if it costs more than heating her UK home it strikes me as a fantastic way to behave! Rock and roll.

1 Like

Just another way to rip us off I expect. Certainly doesn’t relate to the price of oil, gas whatever.

1 Like

Our neighbour is away a lot and has an outside socket in his garden, and I have a long extension lead :wink::grin:

2 Likes

Are you serious?

I can see you are joking. But electricity theft is surely going to be on the rise. I have a holiday rental home in the nearby village. One group renting our house decided they needed to charge their electric car - without asking permission to take our electricity or telling us about it. We noticed the spike in usage on our smart meter. When we asked about this spike they then admitted they’d charged their car and said they would be happy to pay. Which they did. But I got the distinct sense that equally they would have been even happier if we had not noticed the electricity usage.

I know you are joking!!..:joy::sweat_smile::rofl:

… and they say a magnet can slow down your leccy metre. google it.

WARNING there may be a law against it.

Unplugged the tumble drier and hanging washing to dry, turned off all things on stand by not sure that’s going to last long as trying to turn some back on isnt that easy. We already use thick dressing gowns over our clothing indoors during cold weather and fleece blankets are brought out when it cools down. We only turned on the heating three days last winter it will depend on how much lady downstairs uses her heating as that heats our floors nicely.

Hi

I have known for years and been to meetups with her.

She is as straight as a die and genuinely nice, no side to her at all.

She doesn’t however take well to people questioning her personal life.

If you have a free bus pass why would you need to have a car ? Just asking.

Hi

A free bus pass in a rural area is of much less benefit than one in a town or city.

Hi

I value my freedom, so I am looking to live downstairs in as nice an environment as possible.

I am looking to convert the conservatory by better insulation, to a room which is fully habitable all year round.

This means some serious upgrades in energy efficiency, in particular insulation.

Hi

It was 8C here last night, forecast 5C later this week, definitely time to get the tender plants in and start the winter routine in the house.

oooh I haven’t checked a night time temperature…its a clear sky so it’ll be chilly as all heck no doubt. :cold_face:

1 Like

A free bus would save energy instead of using a car.

1 Like