Do people still have Fruitbowls?

I don’t remember why I got the banana hook/stand but I know for sure it’s not because it was in vogue. That’s the one reason I don’t buy things.

I think it might have had to do with ripening or fruit flies/bugs.

1 Like

Wow this is interesting to know!

We can still get them over here, in the local fruit shops anyway. I do enjoy dates, but oh so fiddly and messy to get the stone out first before eating! And yes, I don’t think I have eaten a fresh date…must make that a mission.

I just had a quick look at the purpose of them, and couldn’t find one. I did discover that you are supposed to separate the bananas entirely from the stem, so I don’t see the point in hanging them in a bunch in the first place! :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

They’ve usually had the stone removed here and are just so juicy, the ones of my childhood seem like an awful memory.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was about ripening the bananas as you say and keeping them away from other fruit, it’s just the similar style and design that brought back memories of mug trees, it might have been an 80’s thing.

1 Like

These three are somewhat beyond hanging and gibbeting, banana bread here we come :banana:

1 Like

Delicious…I made banana bread too…it’s lovely. (Just realised it was 6 months ago though, heavens I need to rustle up some more!)

I have just made a strawberry and kiwi smoothie though, that was pretty yum :yum:

1 Like

Ah yes that’s the other reason the fruit is in the fridge. Those little flies are so annoying, especially when they end up in your tea.

2 Likes

I’ll bet they taste much better than the ones we buy in UK supermarkets. I have a lemon tree which once had a couple of lemons (since then has gone on strike). The lemons were the most exquisite I’ve ever smelt/tasted.

2 Likes

There’s an expression here, “If you have to buy lemons, you’ve got no friends”. In the season my senior’s club has people trying to give away bags of mangos, persimons, lemons, oranges, mandarins etc from their trees. The jam/marmalade makers used to take kilos of kumquots from my tree.

When I bought this place over 40 years ago it had a fig tree and half a dozen lemon trees unfortunately the former had to go to make way for my workshop and most of the latter got wasp gaul (I think it was). I had an orange and a mandarin tree but moved them because of an extension, they seemed to object and their fruit suddenly became sour to the point I chopped them down.

Apart from the kumquot and lemons my only harvest now is nasturtiums which self seed like a weed and very hot chillies which didn’t survive this cold winter.

3 Likes

I love nasturniums & wish they self seeded - I nurture them to thrive. I know that some like to eat them but I just like to look at their vibrant blooms. But I’d be happy with just lemons. They are such a staple ingredient in so many dishes. Plus you have all the vit C you will ever need.

2 Likes

They are my salad staple I love the peppery taste and the flowers make the salad look inviting even though I am not a great salad maker. The leaves add a lot to the taste of a cheese sandwich.

3 Likes

We just eat them straight away .
If they get overripe I freeze them for banana bread .

2 Likes

When I was a kid my old man always put a couple of bananas away to let them go black before he would eat them, (they are just producing sugar) personally I don’t even like them when they start to get tiny brown spots.

I still like a banana sandwich (I am of an age when I still remember bananas as an exotic fruit that suddenly appeared after the war) however I once offered my kids a banana sandwich they just laughed and looked at me as if I was mad and said “No” in unison.

3 Likes

And - you canharvest the fresh spicey seeds to use like capers - similar taste for half the cost

3 Likes

Ha…I really had totally forgotten about banana sandwiches. I’m going to offer one to my son and check out the expression on his face.

4 Likes

I used to have a lemon tree (small one in a pot). It didn’t produce anything, and then died…such a shame.

Not had much luck with trees, Bruce, have you? :frowning_face:

Personally I can’t abide the taste, but they are really good for cleaning the house!

Whats the big deal about banana sandwiches? I love them and have one several times a week…or toast and banana, thats nice too :yum:

1 Like

Ooh I love banana sandwiches! And they have to be on white bread, preferably with butter, none of this ‘spread’ rubbish.

I’m pretty sure neither of my kids would laugh or even raise an eyebrow at them, because they often had them when they were younger and living at home. My daughter loves banana sandwiches with honey.

1 Like

You have to remember they just another fruit here, in fact the most common fruit, they would no more think of putting a banana in a sandwich than they would using a peach or a nectarine.

3 Likes

I’m sure there’s a big deal about them, it’s just something that I haven’t eaten for many years for some reason. I like the taste of bananas it’s just the slimy texture that I find a bit off putting.
The toasted banana sandwiches sound good though. I’ll give that a go :+1:

2 Likes

With just a drizzle of Maple Syrup!!

Can we stop it now … I am drooling. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes