Do people still have Fruitbowls?

I was tidying up this morning and sorting out the fruitbowl. Some fruit had gone a bit off due to the heat, so I binned it, washed everything and restocked. I was quite pleased with it, and took a photo to show my daughter.

She replied “:joy: Nobody has fruitbowls in the living room these days, mum!”

Do you have one, or am I being a weirdo? :thinking: I rather like it actually.

8 Likes

yep have em down under but the fruit keeps slipping off ??

2 Likes

Yes a banana bowl, which has apples too when it’s not high summer. Everything else is in the fridge.

2 Likes

That’s a beautiful fruit bowl! :bowl_with_spoon: I don’t have a fruit bowl because I haven’t had much fruit like that lately. But if I did, I’d have a fruit bowl. They look so pretty and inviting and yummy. :apple: :green_apple: :banana: :avocado: :tangerine:

Having them in the bags in the refrigerator isn’t as inviting. I guess cutting them up and putting them in containers helps people who want a quick snack. But you can pick up an apple from the fruit bowl and start eating just as quick.

3 Likes

I certainly do have a fruit bowl albeit a small one, it lives on the occasional table next to my comfy chair along with the nut bowl and the toffee bowl.

The fruit is stashed in the fridge and I’ll just filter off what we’re likely to use almost immediately for the bowl. I quite enjoy arranging it so that it looks nice and well laid out…sad but true :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

but didn’t they used to serve another purpose and that was showing off how well off you were?

2 Likes

Placing certain fruits (and vegetables) together is not always a good idea:

4 Likes

A few years ago…

2 Likes

Yes, I have a fruit bowl. It’s a very pretty one, white with pieces of fruit painted on it. My daughter bought it for me many, many years ago and I love it! Not much fruit in it at the moment, just 3 or 4 satsumas, looking past their best… I don’t like fruit kept in the fridge, because I honestly don’t like fridge-cold fruit, prefer it at room temperature! Apart from soft fruits, of course, like raspberries and strawberries. Always keep them in the fridge. I don’t think bananas are supposed to be kept in the fridge? Don’t they go brown quicker or something?

2 Likes

I thought so but apparently not. I wouldn’t put them in there though.

4 Likes

Isn’t that why some people do it though? Some of it was to accelerate ripening so you could eat it faster. Most of that gas gets distributed in the refrigerator anyway so it does the same in there. They sell plastic bags that are supposed to reduce that gas so produce ripens slower but I never tried it.

2 Likes

Yes, I remember those banana hooks/stands.
A bit of a fad but I suppose they fulfilled a purpose.

2 Likes

Ah thanks for that. I really wasn’t sure. But, like you, I wouldn’t keep them there either.

1 Like

I don’t keep it in the fridge?! Should I be doing that? :thinking:

I do this sometimes if I make a smoothie later in the day. I’m more energetic in the mornings so the prep isn’t as big of a deal than it would be if I were to start from scratch

Sounds like you have a proper “Chilliboot Corner all set up” :smiley:

Did they? Gosh, well don’t tell anyone but this is all yellow sticker stuff! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh good heavens, now you tell me!! I’m going to have to get more bowls now…:roll_eyes:

I wouldn’t do it, no

2 Likes

Yes - actually I have two - the one in the sitting room usually holds apples,oranges and clementines. The one in the kitchen holds limes, lemons, grapefruit, and - occasionally - kumquats.

Bananas - kept on a separate plate in the kitchen.
Grapes - kept on a separate plate in the sitting room.

Soft fruit - kept in 'fridge.

Like Chilliboot - there is always a bowl (or two) of nuts about somewhere.

3 Likes

Yes here it is.
I eat a lot fruit .

4 Likes

So do I - love it!

2 Likes

fruit fruit glorious fruit nothing quite like it for,???

2 Likes

Hi

Banana, mango and others I love are out because of potassium content.

2 Likes

I was aware bananas shouldn’t be with other fruit, but I had no idea about all the others! I read somewhere that the ethylene in bananas is emitted from the stalk, so if you wrap the stalks in clingfilm it will keep the gas contained and slow down the ripening process. I did this for some time, and it definitely appeared to work. I must have got fed up with doing it though, cos I’ve only just remembered about it now :see_no_evil:

2 Likes