Do people still have Fruitbowls?

Here most of the fruit comes in netting…although bananas have plastic on them. I never understood why!

I had one but kept knocking it over so I binned it. Nuisance thing.

I keep nuts in a plastic box in the cupboard. I don’t want to risk the dog getting into them.

Me too! :+1:

Aww that’s such a shame, Swimmy. Mangoes are a favourite of mine too…it’s supposed to be one of the “super healthy” fruits. Didn’t realise they had potassium in them though.

1 Like

There’s a lot of delicious low potassium fruit
Apples peaches pears mandarin pineapple grapes strawberries raspberries blackberries blueberries are just a few

3 Likes

What’s the fruit which you can’t eat due to some meds though…I can’t remember if it’s pineapple or grapefruit. Something about them interferes with the absorbtion of medication.

3 Likes

Hi
Grapefruit is one.

3 Likes

:open_mouth:

2 Likes

Yes My Mr R couldn’t have grapefruit

2 Likes

Hi
Yes, but you always think about what you can’t have.

I love fruitcake, but also banned because of raisins and sultanas.

I am going to have one day a week off the diet so that I don’t go mad.

Wines are not allowed, however there is no potassium in vodka.

I am also on a fluid restriction, 1.5 litres a day.

No sense of humour these kidney dietitians when I said sorted, 2 bottles of vodka a day.:grin:

3 Likes

I have a banana hook/stand too. I remember feeling like it was important when I bought it because it was a lot of effort to find one in my price range but I now don’t remember why I needed it.

2 Likes

That made me laugh!. :joy:

Yes! me too…I thought it would be so handy hanging up and out of the way…! Nope :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Aye,I’ve always had a fruit bowl,the one on the middle of the kitchen table was a Wedding present a hundred years ago :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:…It has 2 oranges,1 grapefruit,2 pears in it atm…green bananas on dish on the winowsill…grapes/cherries in fridge…no apples…but the Doc’ has stayed away for years anyhoo :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve never actually owned one, it’s just that Pixie’s topic jogged my memory, I think that banana stands were popular around the same time as those mug trees, equally pointless all all things considered but vaguely similar, probably about what was in vogue at the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

We do eat fruit. Apples, bananas, pears etc. Today I had some sliced honeydew melon. I give some frozen frozen pieces for the dog in this hot weather.

1 Like

I find keeping fruit in the fridge makes things last for weeks. I’ve seen some social media to say you should put it in water in a jar in the fridge, but haven’t tried that. I like it cold too. Particularly cold flat peaches or mango. I have found lemons and oranges dry out when left out, but in the fridge it takes weeks for that. Grapes last forever in a sealed container in the fridge.

Grapefruit increases the absorption of medication so a dosage could be higher than necessary. Oranges & lemons can have a similar effect but not as intense as a grapefruit.

1 Like

Yup we have a fruit bowl in our living room, only apples and pairs though , our bananas are kept in the cupboard

1 Like

Yes we have a fruit bowl, and it’s always full up.

1 Like

I love a fruit bowl but we haven’t had one for a couple of years now because of those pesky little fruit flies.

I don’t know why they’re on the increase. It might be because next door leaves his plums to rot on the tree now and doesn’t pick them

But the only way to keep them out is not to have any food in the open to attract them

I’ll get the bowl back out in the winter, though. Always like a nice fruit bowl at Christmas

1 Like

Makes it sound like garlic and vampires :joy:

My mug tree is not pointless :018: It stays upright (albeit out of the way)

My dog adores her blueberries! I haven’t given her melon though, maybe I should. She gets a couple of slices of banana now and again too, but not too much

Just the jar of water, or do you put fruit in there too…like fruity water? I do like cucumber water, but not sure about the fruit. Oh wait…does the water make the fridge cooler? I’m confused now. :017:

Does that help with ripening? or is it just somewhere to put them?

Ahh, yes…I had them at the old place but I haven’t seen any here (yet, fingers crossed!)

That’s interesting…never thought of it as a Christmas thing. Made me think its to do with Gumbuds suggestion of plenty of fruit being a wealth thing, and everyone splurged out at Christmas as a treat.

1 Like

I don’t have a fruit bowl as such but I have container where I keep onions and fruit, I don’t worry about bananas ripening other fruit because none of them last long enough for it to matter.

The only fruit I put in the fridge are grapes and tomatoes and the latter only to stop them over ripening. Lemons I leave on the tree until I need them.

I used to have banana trees in the garden but they are a lot of work, they only produce one crop and have to be removed so the next tree can grow from suckers (it’s a lot of useless waste material). They only produced a small banana but they were delicious, I can’t remember the variety, I worry that bananas are a mono culture, we only seem to eat Cavendish bananas and there are so many smaller but tastier varieties out there.

Am very fond of dates,so I love Ramadam as the supermarket stocks tons of them, they are so much nicer than those indifferent dry specimens my old man used to buy at Christmas in the UK. Remember those? long boxes with a plastic fork - very variable quality.

1 Like

I don’t remember why I got the banana hook/stand but I know for sure it’s not because it was in vogue. That’s the one reason I don’t buy things.

I think it might have had to do with ripening or fruit flies/bugs.

1 Like

Wow this is interesting to know!

We can still get them over here, in the local fruit shops anyway. I do enjoy dates, but oh so fiddly and messy to get the stone out first before eating! And yes, I don’t think I have eaten a fresh date…must make that a mission.

I just had a quick look at the purpose of them, and couldn’t find one. I did discover that you are supposed to separate the bananas entirely from the stem, so I don’t see the point in hanging them in a bunch in the first place! :woman_shrugging:

1 Like