What's in your banana bread - nuts or no nuts?

Continuing the discussion from Do people still have Fruitbowls?:

On another thread, people were talking about making banana bread. :yum:

For those people who make their own banana bread, do you put nuts in it? If you don’t make your own, do you prefer your banana bread with nuts or without?

What’s in your banana bread - nuts or no nuts?
  • Yes, nuts adds a crunchy texture and nutty flavor.
  • No, nuts spoil the whole thing.
  • I love banana bread with or without nuts.
  • I hate banana bread.

0 voters

If I didn’t have a walnut allergy it would be full of walnuts - yum!

1 Like

Sorry about the allergy. Walnuts and banana bread are yummy. :yum:

3 Likes

Banana … bread … it’s sickly … I tasted it once … :078:

1 Like

When I made it, I didn’t add nuts although the recipe called for it. I might try it next time I make it though, now its supposed to add to the flavour, but…I doubt it.

2 Likes

Never tried banana cake with nuts I imagine it would be nice …even better with chocolate chips :yum:

1 Like

some people follow the recipe proportion of sugar which is almost always too high. I reduce sugar content by substituting ground almonds. This also gives the bread some hint of nuttiness. The ripe bananas have so much sugar that the bread itself only needs about a quarter of prescribed. It all depends on your taste of course. I’ve also added glace cherries or sultanas in the past. Likely taboo and a no-no but then I also like pineapple on my pizza…:slight_smile: :grinning:

4 Likes

To many bananas and it becomes a icky sickly yuk
:flushed: I’ve overloaded the bananas

1 Like

I almost always add sultanas and, like you, I cut down on the sugar. Adding ground almonds is a good idea, might try that!

1 Like

Yes the sultanas are very moreish. I also tried to add grated carrots in the past to make it “healthy” but that wasn’t as popular. I make best efforts to sneak in some fibre & 5 a day!

1 Like

I’d be happy with nuts in bread or cake, provided there was no bananas in it!

1 Like

walnut bread is pretty good too (unless you have a severe allergy that is).

Or both! :yum:

1 Like

Both…oh my gosh, this made me think of Cadbury’s Fruit & Nut Chocolate bar…melted into banana mix, and baked…:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I love banana bread and always add nuts and those lovely golden sultanas. The ground almond sounds like a good idea - will try that next time I make some.

Definitly no chocolate chips!

Pineapple and pizza were made for each other!

2 Likes

If I have an apple that needs using up, I’ve been known to grate that into a banana bread. It’s a bit like bread pudding - you can add lots of different things to it, like chopped, dried apricots, nuts, grated apple, whatever spices you fancy, (maybe not all at once, though, haha!). And now I’m adding ground almonds to that list! Definitely not choc chips though, for me that would spoil it completely.

2 Likes

desiccated coconut and dried pineapple chunks? - pina colada banana bread :slight_smile: :grinning:

2 Likes

I have never heard of nuts in banana bread, mind you I only make the packet kind, where you add bananas, eggs, fat, milk etc

2 Likes

Haha, I love your imagination - I might even try it :joy: