An unusual experience today at the cafe

I am a very outgoing, chatty person But when abroad I would always be very suspicious of people (especially couples) being over friendly.

Also you get those young men who approach you on a walk and ask where you are from. By coincidence they always have a relative who lives there! :wink: so that is supposed to make you feel at ease. they then invite you to walk with them to a local hotel and watch a short video about holiday apartments or something. In return you will get a free bottle of wine. Then they pile the pressure on you and try to get you to sign up to a holiday club or something.

2 Likes

the only time that I have been scammed is when my card was once cloned in a garage 20 years ago. This was before pin etc tech and they asked me to hand over my card when I paid for car repairs. Whoever did it went to the US for a holiday, spent $1,000 there then came back to the UK. Even after my card was cancelled they spent £50-60 in supermarket cashback in the UK! This was down to delays between the bank system and the supermarket system. Luckily despite this being a debit card all my money was returned. But it took weeks to sort out.

But I am extremely wary of strangers striking up a conversation with me when I am alone. They usually want something if they are too friendly. I have always had good radar for the line that is crossed between casual genuine friendliness and invasion of personal space and boundaries. I’m also very careful with finances since the card cloning. I have to be desperate to give my card details over the phone. If it’s a credit card you are generally covered for scamming.

We ended up falling for this once in Tenerife! The hard sell, you’re driven miles from the resort and we had to pay a hefty bill for the taxi back after a very unpleasant reaction from the unhappy timeshare salesman when he realised we only wanted theo free wine!

When we were interrailing back in the late 80s we were approached by a “friendly” guy by the station in Barcelona. He was telling us about his cousin’s place where we could stay and walked us there. It was a dive, we ended up staying the night but there was no hot water!

The “dogging” bit is a crowd of people watching while others do this. I’ve never understood the appeal.

1 Like

You’ve obviously not visited the right layby’s Annie…
:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Oh blimey,that never entered my head Longdriver.
Food for thought i`m thinking :thinking:

My post is deteriorating. If I could close it, I would

1 Like

Well Brett, at least she was doing your buttons up and not undoing them.

Yes, I would have been worried if that was the case.
She was protecting me, :slightly_smiling_face:

You’ve really started something with this topic haven’t you Bretrick, fired up a few imaginations :rofl:

Unwanted crassness has come to the fore. Can posts be closed?

I probably should know that Bretrick but I don’t know the technical solution. I’m sure someone will read your post and provide an answer. Perhaps send a pm to Azz and ask for assistance?

I’m sorry I’m not much help :pensive:

1 Like

That is okay. I don’t want to draw attention but neither do I want crassness on my posts.
I will ask the question at a later date.

We had an experience at a garden centre cafe.My BH asked the expensive looking couple opposite to pass the sugar.He grasped it and said “No,they are all mine” with a smile.We all had a bit of a chuckle.When they got up and left my BH said" That was Mr and Mrs Hugh Jackman.

She may have been trying to make her man jealous by flirting with a stranger

1 Like

Did a bit of crass today, then regretted it, it won’t happen again!

not come across a mechanism were you can close your own thread down completely but you can certainly request admin assistance for legitimate reasons and they will consider and if necessary oblige?

There is a function on the original post - clicking the three dots brings up a trash can.
When I clicked it this message appeared - “you don’t have permission to delete this post”

when you mean original post you mean ‘your first post that started the thread?’