World Rugby - Match discussions

Ireland.

1 Like

Wales

1 Like

The 2023 Guinness Six Nations was ‘officially launched’ today with returning coach Warren Gatland and new captain Ken Owens joining the event!

Wales will kick off this year’s championship in just less than two weeks, as they welcome Ireland to Principality Stadium on February 4 in what will be Warren Gatland’s first game at the helm since 2019.

Following their opening match Wales will travel to Scotland, before facing England on February 25 in front of a packed home crowd in round 3 of the Guinness Six nations. Wales will then travel to finish the championship with away matches against Italy and France.

1 Like

1 Like

I BALE-IEVE I CAN FLY…
Slide?

1 Like

Yes they were very lucky in New Zealand

2 Likes

2 Likes

my father used to bang on about how they should not allow that try because he has grounded the ball properly.

1 Like

Nowadays, If that ball even touches the turf and he’s in control of that ball, it’s a try!

Grounding the ball in both codes means either holding it and touching it to the ground in-goal, or placing hand, arm or front of body between waist and neck (the front torso) on top of the ball which is on the ground in-goal. A player does not need to be holding the ball to ground it .

1 Like

A true supporter.Faith over reality :grinning:

2 Likes

Where the Shepard leads, the herd follows…

2 Likes

Well,we have won a few Grand Slams or Championships over the last twenty years…and with Gatland back I am expecting a vast improvement on the Autumn.

2 Likes

Indeed!

2 Likes

Interesting fact : Six Nations

Trophy trouble

The inside of the trophy used between 1993 and 2015 was silver but was recently replaced with 22 carat gold due to the repeated erosion from the Champagne. They even added a lip around the rim to aid drinking from it!

1 Like

Interesting fact: Six Nations

Try machine

The record for tries in a match is held by Scotsman George Lindsay who scored five tries against Wales in 1887

1 Like

Interesting fact : Six nations

Record holders

Ireland’s Ronan O’Gara is the tournaments highest points scorer with 551 points.

Teammate Brian O’Driscoll is the highest try scorer with 25.

:ireland: the luck of the Irish in action

1 Like

Interesting fact : six nations

Twickenham stadium will sell around 160,547 pints each match

So, even if the Roses can’t lift the trophy, the home crowd will have the last (beer-fuelled) belly laugh, after slurping down this colossal amount of beer. Who said Rugby wasn’t thirsty work!

Gotta love those:beers: bUrP

1 Like

interesting fact : rugby

1 Like

The Welsh Premiership was the subject of a World Rugby mandated scoring experiment not so long ago.
Tries were six points,all kicks at goal two points.
So it needed 5 penalties to overcome a converted try.
World rugby decided not to implement it and the following season we went back to Normal
But that season there were only even scores at the top level of Welsh club rugby.
And surprisingly few draws!

I remember reading an article in a Gloucester v Newport programme which said that in the early days of rugby the WRU and RFU had different scoring systems.
So when Welsh and English clubs played each other they used the system applicable to them.
Which led on occasion to both teams claiming victory.

Brilliant.All matches should be played like that.

2 Likes