Why Does My Internet Go Off At 21.45, Every Night?

Art

Your problem is the same for many people and many have had the problem for ages. See this Google search and the first returned link:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en-GB&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=talk+talk+internet+cutting+out+same+time+every+day&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

They will just give you the run around I’m afraid.

Switch to a decent provider. End of.

and BTW

Repeaedly switching your router on and off is a bad idea. The local exchange picks up that you are doing that and interprets it as a “problem” with data communication. It then tries to automatically rectify that by lowering the internet speed and performance so your internet just gets slower and less responsive as a result. The exchange then takes 72 hrs (3 full days) to put the internet back up to speed.

So my advice is NOT to switch off your router, ever, if possible.

All ISPs give people the runaround to fob them off when they know full well their systems are not up to the job.

Get yourself on BT or Plusnet or similar imo.

Best

Realist, Thank You.
If l didn’t switch it off to reboot it, then l would have no internet at all.

It’s ok you saying switch to another provider but l don’t have the income that you and your wife may enjoy.

Indeed, that’s the best result … :023:

It might be a good idea to bake some cakes on the day of the engineer’s visit … :wink:

I don’t know whether it’s of any help, but they say that the busiest time on the internet is between 6pm and 9pm. I wonder if the lines to your supplier are oversubscribed and it comes to a head at around the time your line cuts out.

Of course, it could be your old router, as others have said.
See what happens when you get your new one.

Sound advice. I never turn off our router except for when VM tells me to do so in the case of a problem which, thankfully, is quite rare these days.

There’s certainly no harm in leaving the router on. It uses very little power and no-one can get into your computer overnight!

We have found Virgin Media to be reliable and provide us with a good deal on our package.

We got a complete upgrade at no cost when we moved house earlier this year. A lot of free minutes on our phones, no call charges between VM users, Netflix and a whole host of other goodies.

But remind me who pays your bill? Who is the potential saver?

Unless you have high speed fibre optic internet, Virgin Media will not entertain you. After being a customer for over five years they told me I must be transferred to Talk talk as they no longer supported customers on slow connections. I had to change my email address which caused me loads of problems…Barstewards!

I’m with BT now and they are brilliant…:smiley:

I still have a VM email address, which I still check daily but never really use any more. I had the good sense to open a Gmail address, which I now use as my regular one.

One big advantage of Gmail is that you can keep it regardless of how often you change internet supplier.

Virgin Media was formerly NTL, which was formerly CableTel.

CableTel’s cable came down our road in 1996 and I signed up with them. We’ve moved a couple of times since then but fortunately, the cable has been present at the various addresses.

The service (now Virgin Media) has been pretty good over all the years we’ve been on cable. Certainly capable of providing a fast Internet connection if you pay the price.

Interesting.

When we first joined Virgin, it was called NYNEX (New York New England Exchange). The cover to the connection in the street outside our old house still has ‘NYNEX’ imprinted on it.

Its name has, as you say, changed over the years. My Virgin email address still bears the suffix ‘ntlworld.com’.

Same here. My primary e-mail address is still ntlworld.com. This one is never used for any purpose other than signing into the account. For general use, I’ve got a few secondary e-mail addresses, one of which is virginmedia.com.

I’ve also got a Gmail address that doesn’t get used much but probably would do if I did ever switch suppliers. No plans to do that at present.

Internet dreadful here today, I wonder if it’s a weather thing?

You are right JB, I joined BT but started a new Google email address and it’s the only one I use now. I realised that if BT didn’t work out I would have to change supplier again and change email address again…Sod that!..:cool:

I find my Gmail account is far quicker to sign in to as well.
To access my VM email, I must open the tab, enter my username and password, press ‘email’ at the top of the next page and, sometimes, have to enter my username and password again!

For my Gmail, I just click the tap and there it is.

Thanks PD, I was covering my eyes just in case. :-p

Have you thought about using an e-mail program such as Thunderbird or the mail program that comes with W.10?

Quite handy to use an e-mail program if you have two or more e-mail addresses. It checks both/all of them for you in one go and then shows them from within the program.

I don’t have Thunderbird any more, and wasn’t aware that Windows 10 has its own mail programme.

I could have a look for the latter. What’s it called, Windows Mail, or something?

It’s just called ‘Mail’. It can be found under that name in the ‘Start > All Apps’ alphabetical menu. It works with Gmail.com, ntlworld.com and virginmedia.com addresses. Others too I’d think.

Thanks. There it is, in the Start menu. I confess I hadn’t noticed it before.

To be honest, I can’t see myself ever using it. The way the list is presented seems a little confusing compared to what I’m used to.

If I’m correct, ‘Mail’ is just a means of presenting my existing mail programmes (Gmail and VM email). Unless I have misunderstood, ‘Mail’ doesn’t provide a separate email facility with a separate email address.

If I’m wrong, please tell me!

You are quite right. It doesn’t provide a new or separate e-mail address. It just gives a way of managing your existing e-mail addresses from one central point.

As a point of interest, Apps that do this are called e-mail ‘clients’. Handy to know this because articles you might come across on the Internet refer to them that way. Nice to know what the writer is talking about. :slight_smile: