Why Does My Internet Go Off At 21.45, Every Night?

It has been doing this for weeks. Every night, at the same time. I just reboot it and it’s ok again.
It’s all very weird. I’m with Talk Talk.

Does this happen to anyone else?

1 Like

I’m also with Talk Talk and no, it doesn’t happen to me (at least I am not aware of it).

That sounds unusually regular, Angel.

Have you asked TalkTalk?

Not that you should be accusatory, but just ask if they have any idea what’s happening.

It may well be related to some domestic appliance that’s turning off/on at a regular time. A short spike in the mains power might be tripping your modem/router.

JBR, The router doesn’t switch off, the green lights on the router are erratic. The ‘internet’ light disappears, it doesn’t go red!

Could someone else be able to intercept it? I do know, it’s at the end at the telephone exchange…if you know what l mean?

Having had a look at the internet (but not found a solution yet), it seems a good question to ask is “Is it the internet or is it just your wifi?”

Does your TV, connected to your “box” not an aerial, stay connected while your tablet disconnects? That would indicate a wifi problem.

The solution to that might be to force a wifi channel change.

If all your devices disconnect from the internet then it must be a router/broadband/ISP issue and you should contact TalkTalk - the problem does seem to happen to their customers and this is their advice:

but if that’s too technical or tiresome then call them.

:wink:

Omah, The internet just went off again for about 10 minutes, so l couldn’t edit my last post to JBR, or reply to you!

The SkyQ box seems to work ok but the internet going off at 21.45 each evening, did affect Netflix, whilst my daughter was watching something on it. Also, my iPad.

I think l need to ring TalkTalk which l hate doing as you’re kept on the line for ages as they do their tests or discuss it with a colleague!

Omah, Thank You for the link.
It doesn’t state anything as to why the internet goes off at the same time every evening. I googled it recently and it does happen to other people.

Why don’t you get a private I.T. person to come and have a look at your system. They are most likely to give you an honest appraisal of what’s wrong. Students are often the best and most keen to get to the bottom of the problem I find. You pay up front and get what you pay fir usually. IMO at least. Worth a try?

Frankly, it’s totally unacceptable service from the less than reputable TalkTalk and you should politely request that they send you a new router as a first “solution” … :!:

Thank You,:slight_smile: keezoy. I will ring TalkTalk first and see what they say. It might be the router that needs replacing, it gets really hot!

Indeed, TalkTalk have failed to provide a reason for the disconnections that affect their customers - they seem, as you say, just to offer a “script” solution … :frowning:

I’ve just checked my router - it’s warm but not hot, so definitely mention the temperature … :!:

[quote=“Artangel, post: 1750983”]
Thank You,:slight_smile: keezoy. I will ring TalkTalk first and see what they say. It might be the router that needs replacing, it gets really hot![/Q

Hmm yeah it’s normal for the modem/ router to get a bit warm but not really hot. Best you should turn it off and get it looked at I reckon. Just to be safe. If it’s really hot it could get dangerous. :frowning:

It goes off Arty because the man with the little wind up thingy at talk talk goes for his supper at the same time every night…:smiley:

Not being on the spot, it is difficult to say what the problem might be and I think the best course of action is to phone TalkTalk about it. You pay for a reliable broadband connection and help when there is any problem with it.

Before doing that, you could just run a test on your connection by going to the TalkTalk status page linked to below. Then you can talk to them about the results you are getting.

https://www.talktalk.co.uk/help/servicestatus/

I’m with BT and I had a similar problem which turned out to be the router.

Just had another problem with very slow speeds and not being able to connect to the router on my Win 10 laptop or my ipad (but, strangely, Win 7 laptop was fine) and that also seemed to be a router problem.

My friend is with Talk Talk, she’s had drop out problems, intermittent connection etc and they said it was her router.

However…my friend is a total technophobe, has no idea about internet and they managed to flog her fibre, which she really doesn’t need, obviously at an increased cost.

So watch them, they’re crafty.

A friend of min had a similar problem and one that proved very difficult for BT to resolve. However, one day when his internet cut out he was at his study desk looking out of the window. As it cut out the street lamp outside his house came on. The next night exactly the same. BT checked it out and that proved to be the problem, a small ‘box of tricks’ where the overhead telephone cable came into the house solved the problem.

Apparently that type of magnetic field (I think that’s what it was) is not uncommon. Although the time element is not usually present when it’s down to something like a microwave oven or any of the other devices within homes these days. BT engineers usually check things out with one of their meters. I had similar problems at one time but it was the overhead telephone line where it had been worn through by tree branches rubbing on it.

I have just rung TalkTalk. He needed to test the line, so he rang me on my mobile phone.
He told me to go and make a cup of tea whilst he ran a test on my BT phone line. He said, it would take about 6 minutes

After this time he came back on and said, they needed to run a diagnostic test but this would take up to 3 hours and could l ring back at around 1pm.

He said, there was a problem with my internet but they needed more time to run the test. Also, my TalkTalk router was 4 years old and not a very good one.

Mmmn, l hope, it will be sorted soon. The last time this happened, l didn’t have the internet for over 3 weeks.

Foxy, You might be right there! :slight_smile:

Thank You, mart.
I did action the link you provided but it stated, it wasn’t able to carry out the test at that time, or words to that affect.