Why Does My Internet Go Off At 21.45, Every Night?

TalkTalk’s advice about turning off your router is exactly the same advice I get - routinely - from Virgin when I have a problem. Every time, their first suggestion is “turn off the router for two minutes”! It might work, and it’s something you can do yourself right now.

Advice for you to contact TalkTalk and ask for a new router is very sound. I complained to Virgin and got their latest router free of charge, of course.

The strange thing, in my mind, is why the thing goes off at exactly the same time every evening. As you asked, a neighbour could conceivably be making use of your connection if, perhaps, you don’t have a strong password, but I don’t think that would turn off your connection. It could slow it down a bit, but going off completely at 9.30pm (or whatever) is something I’d be interested to learn the cause of.

EDIT:
Be firm, but polite. TalkTalk, like any other supplier, will do all they can to keep your custom. If they fail to do so, you have every right to go to a different supplier. Look here:

Even if there is an external problem, a new router has got to be a priority … :!:

Thank You, Nicol.

I think, it may be the router?

I cannot change what l have with TalkTalk as my ex partner pays for my internet. I don’t want to contact him as he is married now.
Luckily, after a lot of explaining and begging to TalkTalk, they will now converse with me. They wouldn’t before, as l am not the account holder.

Thank You, Baz, It’s funny you should say that, as there are overhead telephone lines on the verge right outside my house. There are trees all along that side too.
So that might be a factor in all this?

This^^

But that would suggest the trees cause a break, temporary perhaps, in your phone line but the naughty trees wouldn’t know to do that at 9.30pm every night! :lol:

My mother-in-law is with TalkTalk and, apparently, has had a great deal of help from them, though she’s very good at playing the helpless 90 year-old dear!

JBR, l am forever turning off the router and restarting it after a few minutes. It’s become a way of life, lately!
I haven’t done the needle in the little hole in the back yet to reset it.

The password for my internet, is the one TalkTalk provided when l got my current router 4 years ago. It isn’t one someone could guess easily.

When, l reboot it, a load of other internet names come up on my iPad or mobile phone. ie Sky, I just presume these are people over the way on another road.
I do recognise one name on there who l know.

Yes! Omah, definitely! A nice swanky, all bells and whistles router! :slight_smile:

JBR, Yes, they do! My trees can tell the time! We have very intelligent trees in my road! :lol::lol:

That doesn’t mean that any of those people can hack into your WiFi, just as you can’t hack into theirs, assuming that they have passwords too!

Damned trees! Chop them down!

I had a similar problem with Talk Talk, around about 11pm most nights. Absolute pain in the neck for a couple of years. Anyway, I changed to PlusNet, and it never happened again.

Sorry, that was meant as a reply to ArtAngel. but you can read it LD :smiley:

A good move - a highly reputable Yorkshire company, independent from, but owned by, BT … :023:

JBR, I know they can’t, l just threw that in as a bit more info!:slight_smile:

It used to happen regularly on my Apple mini iPad around that same time of night .It got so that I could give you the time by it give or take a few minutes .Not happened for quite a while tho.

So frustrating to be told “you’re not connected to the internet “ when your router’s showing that you are !

I’m with Zen.

Thank You, Zuleika,
It is annoying especially when you are watching an hour long programme at about 21.00hr via Netflix. It gets to 21.45hr or thereabouts and the picture freezes ad it stops playing!

Another time, I might be replying to a thread and l type a long piece, The internet starts playing up and l lose the lot.
These days, l copy and paste before I send the post.
I shouldn’t have to keep doing that!

A load?:confused:
I only ever have Talk Talk come up .

Any progress … :?:

It is just God bringing back sanity to the world. Remember when TV used to shut down each night because they had nothing worth showing? They’d play the national anthem and you just got a test pattern. It’s like that.

You’ll have to talk to each other and everything you say will have to go unverified until tomorrow.

Omah, I am sorry for the delay in replying but l needed to go out this afternoon and l knew if l logged on here, l would still be here now!

I rang TalkTalk back and was put through to a manager. He did some more tests and acknowledged there was a problem.
He has now arranged for an engineer to come out next week and install a new router.
That is good news as l feel, that’s probably where the problem is?