Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

I wonder how many women have broken a nail scratching their head trying to work out how to get the petrol cap off:lol:

You know you have lost your love for cars, when you spend more time asking the Salesman about the Residual Value, than the BHP.

Or suddenly realising that the steering wheel turns more than five degrees. :mrgreen:

Opening a car bonnet to see what is under it has never fascinated me-undoing a bra strap however…oh do shut up Stephan you are too old.

I have to admit, l did feel a bit useless yesterday when l tried to open the bonnet of the car! I found the bit you pull in the driver’s area to release the bonnet but could l get the bonnet up? I kept sliding my hand under the bonnet trying to find the bit to open the bonnet, it must’ve taken me five minutes!
It was a eureka moment when l did!

Sounds like my first time too. :mrgreen:

To admire the engineering?:lol:

Yes i used to often lift the bonnet, wrap your pie you got in your bait in tinfoil and place on the engine block. By the time you got to the next job, lovely warm morsel.

Mind yo no one has mentioned why blokes buy cars. Chick magnet innit. Didnt work with my VW Polo mind. :(:(:frowning:

Same reason some women are obsessed with shoes, knick knacks, handbags, costume jewellery …

I’m not! In fact, l’d choose drooling over an engine than be obsessed with those!
Now if you said, obsessed with diamonds, then that’s a different story! :slight_smile:

Believe it or not, many years ago, I enrolled on a car maintenance course.

I never did learn which was the bonnet and which was the boot, and chucked it in in the end.

I can do my oil, tyres, and window squirter, but that’s about it. :slight_smile:

Yes all the old DIY skills have gone. I used to use a strobe to set in the timing , something like 8 degrees before top dead centre (TDC) or there abouts if my memory is correct, depending on the car.

That is on the pulley there was a nick ( i painted a white mark on it, easier to see) so with number 1 spark plug connected to the strobe it use to flash in time with the mark and you adjusted it via the distributer to the correct setting

my strobe you could adjust as well for spot on timing
Talk to anyone now about the OTTO cycle and they think you are nuts.
Otto cycle is- ignition -compression- firing-exhaust.

Oh those were the days. it used to be Horse Power (HP) now it is all about cubic capacity (CC)

Still got my strobe light , what about setting the points or adjusting the tappets? using a feeler gauge, ah happy days…!!

Ah yes, the days of failing to get to your destination on time…if at all.

The days of ruined holidays.

The good old days of unreliabilit…oh how I miss them:lol:

Primus, Don’t be such a wuss!
Seriously, I really think a Motoring section would be very interesting and helpful to car owners.

I do too…being an owner of the notorious RX-8 I’ll probably need all the help I can get in the not so distant future.

Mupsy, I bet you are one of those Ladies who gets a Bucket, to “Dip” the Clutch.

RX-8, Psychological help probably.:lol:

How very dare you…they are a masterpiece of engineering quality…230bhp, 0-60 sub 6 sec, 150mph top speed all out of 1300cc…apart from unreliability…what’s not to like :lol:

I prefer a straight six.