Why Are Some Men Obsessed With Cars And Engines?

Why do some men, when they get a new or secondhand car, lift up the bonnet and drool over the engine?
When they show the car to their friends, again up comes the bonnet and like little kids in a sweet shop, they get all excited as they talk about the engine, size, how fast it goes, how she handles etc! Some men even call the engine, an injin!
Is this a little bit true or not? Are you guilty of being obsessed with cars and engines, or know someone who is?

1 Like

Same reason some of us ladies drool over new fabrics and threads I’d guess or others drool over plants and things.

Many people have hobbies take up a lot of their energy. Some women like cars and engines too.

I would like to know what they are actually looking for when they lift that bonnet and try to look intelligently inside :smiley:

I would say…Not as much as men!

Mags, This is exactly what prompted this thread!
A warning came up on my dashboard last night…‘Dipped Beam Left’. On inspection, one of the bulbs had gone on the left-hand side of my car.
This morning armed with my car manual, l proceeded to see if it was something that l could do myself!
I lifted the bonnet and saw according to the manual, it would be more intricate than l thought.
I stood there looking at the engine and tried to think how some men positively drool over an engine! Is it only clean ones that they like or do dirty ones do it for them too?!!

I think we get programed as youngsters, my toys included Mechano Science and Electricity sets, Train sets, Scalextix. Lego. Not a Petrol head myself, but i think tinkering is just part of a mans make up.

It’s the beauty of the engineering, as a female would appreciate the skill of the seamstress, so men tend to appreciate the skill of the engineer. That’s the reason for my personal love of engines and mechanicals anyway… :slight_smile:

I think the truth is many men look under the bonnet in the belief that it will give the impression they ‘know a bit about cars’ even when they don’t :lol:
It’s a 'man thing '…:roll:

I look under the bonnet when buying a car to make sure the engine is there :lol:
…also to see how clean and well cared for it is and for obvious
leaks.

My husband has never been interested in cars other than driving them.

I suppose it is the same the way we look at women. Some are experts - the mechanics - but most just admire and like a bit of tinkering now and then.

In the good old days I used to be able to tune cars I had a Vittess with Twin Carbs but now a days you have to plug the ICU into your Computer assuming you have the manufactures software

So lifting the bonnet does not let you see much my engines are V6 2.5 litre petrol auto in the Landy and 2litre flat 4 on my GT86 with flapy paddles

but what really gets me going Art are drum kits

Don’t recall any men looking and drooling at car engines but I guess I’ve never known anyone with a brand new car.

Oh yes I have … BIL always buys a new Landrover Discovery but he’s more concerned with the interior and comfort.
As long as it goes and is comfortable, he’s happy.

Late father played the drums and also used to tinker with the cars he bought.

I don’t know enough about engineering to understand the engine.

All I know is key, petrol, drive.

I must admit to being an adrenaline junkie…and I lurrrrve speed.

The same reason women are obsessed with shoes and knickers:-)

Shoes hmmmm maybe but KNICKERS are a necessity, for most of us :wink:

A good car engine is like a good woman, you have to rev either up to get the best performance

it’s just superfluous bullshite just like other stuff, you lift the bonnet on your new car, and are greeted with a squeaky clean, logo emblazoned, engineering masterpiece, which turns out to be a plastic cover, concealing all the old oily bits, that used be there on open display, in the old days, such revelations are apparent in many areas of modern perception.

But, this can have a Bearing, on your Big End.

if you tune both up properly just hear the noise they make

Why isn’t there a GROAN smilie? :wink: