When was your last walk/hike?

I walk quite a bit - mostly along the Roman Rig, No cars. Many know my dog, Max . This is the Ozzie.

He is hard work for us.

7 Likes

I go for a 5 to 6 km walk every day when it is not raining in a circuit from my house. These photos were not taken today but they are all on the route of my regular walk.

7 Likes

Sadly not recent, but a favourite which we did twice a year:

Bleasdale 2 Hour Route 1

4 Likes

Bleasdale 2 Hour Route 1

9 Likes

Today. We walk / hike everyday
Here are some photos of the places we walk / hike.

8 Likes

50 years ago, 30 miles in 8 hours across Dartmoor when I was in the Royal Marines, put me off walking anywhere for life.:smiley:

2 Likes

Stunning pictures everyone! :049:

Here’s one from today’s hike, which was almost 5 hours long :lol:

3 Likes

Another Favourite:

Calder Vale is an English village, located on the edge of the Forest of Bowland in Lancashire. It lies on the River Calder in a deep valley with only a single road providing vehicular access. The name Calder is thought to be derived from the Old Norse kaldr (“cold”).

The village was founded by Quakers Jonathan and Richard Jackson, and in 1835 a cotton-weaving mill — the Lappet Mill — was built, powered by the River Calder. The mill and mill pond still exist and Lappet Mill is still working as a cotton mill. One of its main products is the red, black and white checked cloth used for Arab headscarves and it was said that Yasser Arafat’s headdresses were made at the Mill. The Jackson brothers also built many of the terraced houses still in occupation close to the mills.

The church of St. John the Evangelist lies high above the village, linked to it by a woodland footpath. It was consecrated on 12 August 1863. It serves the adjacent village of Oakenclough, in addition to Calder Vale.

The village also contains a primary school, Calder Vale Church of England School, which was built concurrently with the church. It is a small school consisting of two teachers and about 30 pupils, and it is situated next door to St. John’s Church, the two being very closely linked.

There is also a village hall and a Methodist chapel in the village centre.

The Quaker village still has no public house … :astonished:

Calder Vale 2 hour Route 1 (Spring)

2b Long Row-Pavement

6 Likes

I like the first pic.Work all week in the mill and go and give thanks to the Lord on your day off :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Being a commoner was never supposed to be easy, some beautiful places, photos tend not to depict solitude, the photos of fields, with a motorway in the distance, that can bee seen but not heard are quite poignant.

See the City in the far distance, and the Village in the mid range, little did I know one year ago when this was taken, the fields in the immediate view would be desecrated by construction traffic, thank goodness i had the divine foresight to capture the scene as was.
I challenge anyone to find this view on Google. :walking_man: :biking_man:

5 Likes

I go to Hyde Park a lot, was there yesterday and going back today.

Here’s an old album, I haven’t added to it in a while.

3 Likes

Hi

I did a walk around a small Lidl today, which was great.

3 Likes

This the view straight in front today.

This is the next area to cop it.

2 Likes

lovely to read the planned route you took ,I follow a couple others on YT and its interesting to see other parts of the country I cannot get to .Also the interesting facts.
Did you walk in a group walk or Solo ?, I use to walk in a group , but prefer Solo .

2 Likes

Sadly, the groups I used to walk with have disbanded because of most of the walkers were over 60 and were worried about the effects of the COVID pandemic - since that’s still ongoing, it’s unlikely that the groups will reform in the near future.

2 Likes

Simple things like houses, driven past these for the last 25 years, copt them just before they succumbed to the HS2 bulldozers, Wife spoke to the owners Daughter yesterday who said it was like her memories had been stolen.

2 Likes

Was over in Wick a short time ago to get some messages, afterwards the dog and I walked away over to the ruins of Castle Sinclair then after a wee mooch around we headed along the cliffs for a while.

6 Likes

Calder Vale again, but in Winter. Same route but minus the loop up Peacock Hill because low cloud obscured the view.

5 Likes

What a great walk you had Rox, and a ruin too, brilliant.

I have just bought a new pair of Hiking Boots , Im told they will keep my feet dry in wet weather , made with Gor Tex.

3 Likes

Nice Boots … :+1:

Apparently:

The Sakura GORE-TEX® Hiking Boot from The North Face is a comfortable all-around boot that will suit your needs on a variety of trails in any weather. The Sakura is breathable, waterproof and streamlined for moving fast through the hills.

… but keep your speed down in wet weather … :smiley:

:hiking_boot:

2 Likes