What's the essential part of a Full English breakfast?

Lurpak :icon_eek:

2 Likes

RIP Emma

2 Likes

I’ve never watched VoD, and now I wish I had…

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles It was one the best gentle and well written comedy series I’ve seen. Dawn French and Emmer Chambers (Alice Tinker) were excellent together; in fact the whole cast slotted in together just right :+1:
EDITED for link:-
BBC iPlayer - The Vicar of Dibley

2 Likes

Stuff a full English. Just give me toast slathered with goats butter and the world is wonderful. Whether on it’s own or with Marmite or marmalade.
Heaven.
:smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve had many a full English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish cooked breakfast, but to may shame, never a full NI version.

I used to work away from home a lot, and ate a lot of cooked breakfasts in a lot of hotels. Quantity and quality varied terribly. Some were dry and hard, some some would have sausages swimming backstroke in grease, but some were most excellent.

Assuming everything was properly cooked, my idea of a perfect Full English breakfast (other nationalities are available) would be,

Sausages, bacon, fried bread, eggs (poached or fried) and baked beans.

Minimum quantity, two of everything (except the beans of course). Eggs should be on the fried bread so the yoke soaks into the bread when you slice them open.

Black pudding, I can take it or leave it.
I prefer tomatoes raw, not cooked.
I don’t like mushrooms but would eat them if they were included. (I would probably smother them in brown sauce to hide the taste.)
Hash browns are an abomination and should be cast down into the fiery pits of hell. What a horrible invention. If you are going to serve potatoes with a cooked breakfast, then make grilled or fried scallops instead.

The breakfast should be accompanied by a cup or mug of tea, slices of proper thick bread or toast, with proper butter. Bread and butter is better because you can use it to mop up the juices.

I was chatting to the breakfast supervisor of a hotel in the USA I frequented regularly for a month at a time. He asked me what a typical English breakfast would have in it.
I explained about cereals, porage, fruit, toast and marmalade etcetera, then described the ingrediments of a Full English.
He pondered for a moment, then asked, "You eat baked beans for breakfast? I replied “Yes,” he said, “You’re not from around here are you?”

2 Likes

No mention of the condiments that I reckon go with a full English – salt, pepper, vinegar and either tomato sauce or brown sauce to suit. Without the vinegar to combat the greasiness and the others, nothing in a fried breakfast, also come to that a bacon sarnie, would taste the same for me.
:plate_with_cutlery: :grinning:

1 Like

Ever so slightly off topic Butterscotch … (bows and kisses your feet)… :grin:

Which do folk prefer if they have a bacon butty… toasted bread or bread just as it comes?

@butterscotch Just for you.

1 Like

I enjoy American style bacon :bacon:

If Gordon says “the best breakfast in the world is always made in America” then you know it’s TRUE

1 Like

I cannot stand that … that … errrm foul mouthed cook!!

1 Like

You’re forgiven :069:

2 Likes

I’ve never tried American bacon, Danish is not to bad either!
:grinning:

His problem is that he cannot string two words together, without one of them being a swear word, an appalling person in that respect!
One Big Question Mark Smiley

4 Likes

That is the reason I cannot stand the man!! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::wink::innocent:

1 Like

Better still, either of these would be a good idea I reckon:
:zipper_mouth_face: :no_mouth:

1 Like

It’s his cooking skills that rock. The mouth, not so much… @Baz46 and @LongDriver

#I could not resist :icon_lol:

1 Like

With a vocabulary such as his, I am unable to sit still enough to take in what he could be cooking and I’m reaching for the clicker.

1 Like

Two slivers on pancetta, one poached egg, hollandaise, in a muffin

with a flat white.

:icon_cool:

2 Likes

I think I’ve posted it previously but my ultimate best breakfast is eggs benedict or eggs florentine

1 Like

scrummy

The english don’t have english breakfast of course.

Like the scots don’t drink scotch.

It’s for the chavs abroad.

1 Like