What's the essential part of a Full English breakfast?

According to this survey on reddit, bacon is the most important part of a Full English breakfast. I think the survey is from the US though. I’ve never had a Full English Breakfast, so maybe I’ll learn something about what it means.

Last thread on Full English breakfasts was in 2016. I think a new one is in order.

What’s the most important part of a Full English breakfast?

We’ll do our own poll. I added porridge to the one in the picture.

• Bacon
  • Fried Eggs
  • Beans
  • Sausage
  • Toast
  • Fried Tomato
  • Hash Browns
  • Black Pudding
  • Fried Mushrooms
  • Porridge

0 voters

2 Likes

You can only vote once, I voted bacon but wanted to put eggs as well, I love a full English, the only thing I could omit is the hash browns, but I’ll eat them if it’s served up…

2 Likes

I’m hoping that people will post their other favorites like you did. The poll only shows the one winner, but there’s lots of other good stuff on that plate.

1 Like

There are not only regional variations but it’s a personal thing too and yet, strangely, every variation is called a “full English” and to make matters worse you can have a full Scottish variant too, and probably Welsh and Northern Irish.
Scottish has tattie scones and haggis too, for example … and now I fancy haggis even though I’ve just had my dinner.

Personally I like my tomatoes grilled and add fried bread too and you can keep the beans and hash browns, especially if there are tattie scones and haggis.
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@butterscotch
Looking at all those bits of dead animal makes me feel ill even more so first thing in the morning :icon_neutral: .

There is nothing like a steaming bowl of porridge made with organic jumbo oats with a little cream or milk on top to put hairs on your chest and start the day :icon_cool:

2 Likes

Hence the hash browns.

We have a fried brunch sometimes on a Sunday. It consists of Bacon & Egg. And not that back bacon shown in the pic but proper streaky.

We occasionally have sausage & bean, different meal, different time.

1 Like

I put “Black Pudding” but I really meant “Bury Black Pudding”.

There are a lot of fake versions around!

Reminds me of Bury market place!

1 Like

I only ever had hash brows once. It was at McDonalds; I didn’t ask for them, they just came with something else. I couldn’t eat them; they were horrible. Not as horrible as a bacon and egg muffin I once ordered, though. How on earth they manage to do what they do to bacon and egg God only knows. :078:

:face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Having researched extensively (ie watched numerous episodes of 4 In a Bed), I can confirm that a quality sausage and well poached eggs are the key to success.

2 Likes

What’s the essential part of a Full English breakfast?

Why all of it of course, that’s why it’s called ‘Full’ English breakfast!

Not so many years’ ago I could do all that some justice, these days though my appetite is not what it was. I might have to leave something on the plate, like the knife and fork!
:plate_with_cutlery: :grinning:

2 Likes

And where are the mushrooms!!!

2 Likes

In a soup

2 Likes

Yuck!

1 Like

Actually saw one bed & breakfast which did serve mushrooms as a thick soup, but intended as a sauce to pour over the rest of the breakfast items. Weird, or what?

1 Like

You wouldn’t like my diet atm then Meg - I’m practically a carnivore right now :lol:

Yes, Bacon & Egg for me too & no to hash browns, the rest it depends on how hungry I am. I often have a full English for evening meal too. :grinning:

2 Likes

Bacon, egg, sausage, tomato, black pudding, and a fried slice. Definitely NO beans. Might stretch to a potato cake or a hash brown too if I’m particularly hungry.

2 Likes

All day breakfasts are (were?) very popular here in food courts etc when I used to visits Sydney before Covid. I certainly enjoyed them for lunch.

Basically the same as the initial photo but with more fried tomato and mushrooms and missing the Black Pudding and hash browns (chips instead)

1 Like

Haha. I’m actually a dietary vegan but I like looking at food. I couldn’t eat most of that stuff. It would literally make me sick. But looking at it oddly makes me hungry. :yum:

2 Likes

You had me thinking I forgot them in the poll but fried mushrooms are in the poll and on the plate in the picture. :upside_down_face:

Are you thinking of a different kind of mushroom?

1 Like