What have you done in the garden today?

Apart from the daily watering, pulled several weeds up and found my first 2 ready tomatoes of this years crop.

1 Like

Same as most of us - watered, and weeded, then squished a few Blackfly off my runner beans.
Even had to fill one smaller water but out the front, with the hosepipe. Never had to do that before.

This water thing is getting serious according to our local water authority. Reservoirs are 50% down on water levels at the mo, and still no sign of rain.

1 Like

I shall be watering our planters later on when the sun has gone round.

1 Like

Picking gooseberries and redcurrants, also some watering.

I got the hose out and drenched my little patch , everything is looking a lot perkier now.

That reminds me of something they might say in a Carry On film. :thinking:

1 Like

It does rather hee hee

Nothing today itā€™s too hot, but i did watch this video about how to water plants better.

The radish cropā€¦

1 Like

Done nothing again, except watering. Too hot for me to be out there for long.

After that excessive heat today, I noticed this evening that quite a few plants have been badly scorched, even though I have watered every day. My Pieris is particularly badly scorched, and even some Rose leaves. And a young Japanese Azalea has burnt to ash nearly.
I do hope they recover.

Anyone else noticed this after todays intense heat?

1 Like

yes my Fushias,i looked out and saw they had shrivilled up, the leaves were dry some brown . i watered them last night , I think i saved them .

1 Like

Some of the hardy geraniums have shriveled up but they should be ok and one of the roses needed watering yesterday.

Today itā€™s cooler so i did some deadheading and watered the polyanthus, might lose some of them.
Hereā€™s a video

Yes, one of my Fuchsiaā€™s has gone like that too, Eliza, poor thing doesnā€™t look good this morning, but weā€™ll see how it goes.

I liked that video Logan, thanks.
And what a nice change from all the American videos I keep seeing, where they yak and yak, but actually do very little! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, I have watered everyday too. I use the sprinkler and it takes three goes to cover it. Also my wife waters all the pot plants but still some of the flowers are still wilting. And the new turf at the bottom of the garden is not in such good shape. Bring on the rain!!

Too true. :+1:

They are talking on the radio about peopleā€™s compost heats spontaneously combusting now!

1 Like

Thanks Mups, i watch YouTube all the time about different people gardening and that one came up as a recommendation.

Back to normal now in the garden now that itā€™s cooled down. Deadheaded the roses and other plants a lot of watering.

1 Like

My produce garden has been decimated by the 40Ā° heat and I have lost all sorts of fruit and veg. The blackberries have literally cooked before they had a chance to ripen and looks like Iā€™ve lost the entire crop. The last of the blackcurrants have shrivelled and dropped off, as have most of the blueberries. It was 50Ā° in the greenhouse on Wednesday, which cooked most of the ripening tomatoes and the sweet peppers, of which I might rescue perhaps half a dozen. In the veg plot the runner bean plants have shrivelled and looks like they wonā€™t recover, although Iā€™m doing my best to rescue them, and even the parsnip tops are dying off. Honestly I have never seen the garden in such a sorry state, the only thing that I am thankful for is that I grow autumn raspberries which are only just coming into full growth, so I may be lucky with those, but fingers crossed, early days yetā€¦

1 Like

Thatā€™s terrible Barry, down here in the Midlands went up to 38c
All of my currants, blueberries, blackberries, gooseberries, plums and apples are doing well.
Hope that you can get a good crop of autumn raspberries.

1 Like