What do you make from scratch?

Following on from Anyone make their own sourdough bread? I wonder what else you might be making from scratch.

What do you make from scratch that could otherwise be bought in a shop pre-made?

1 Like

Coffee. I’m a fanatic. None of this shop bought coffee for me.

I boil the water, add my Nexcafe Blend 43 and pour in milk straight from the fridge. Served in a china mug.

My kids on the other hand go out for coffee, claim the shop bought stuff made by a barista is better. Pah! stuff and nonsense

3 Likes

Lasagne,Bolognese,All Bran cookies,And Chicken Curries.

1 Like

I’ve been craving spag bol as well recently! How do you make yours @brokenvows? :blush:

I thought you were gonna say your grind your own beans and have an expensive expresso machine then Bruce!

No, that’s my damn kids, takes forever to get a cup of coffee in their house.

This is my daughter’s device just a few meters from where I am sitting, grinds the beans, heats the water and steams the milk, vacuums the carpet, by the time you get the cup you have long forgotten you wanted coffee and have got a beer from the fridge.

Actually I rarely even boil the kettle, I just take the raw ingredients, Nescafe, cold water and milk in a mug - two minutes in the microwave - perfect coffee, home made from scratch.

1 Like

It is one of those things I make in bulk and freeze in five containers

Mine is Aldi Country Vegetables Pasta sauce, minced beef, Chilli, oregano, Garam Masala, onions.

Hot and spicy.

1 Like

Wild garlic pesto! :drooling_face:

3 Likes

A Fruit Salad
Banana, Strawberry, Peach, Plum, Apple, Pomegranate, all sliced, Orange segments, whole Grapes, a few blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, with fresh double cream or custard,( i don’t make the cream or custard from scratch)
Can be made with any fruit of your choice, so easy, even someone has never seen the inside of a kitchen can make it
Lovely

3 Likes

Yes fruit salad is lovely as long as you do not put mayonnaise inside like in Asia! :scream:

2 Likes

I sometimes grind my own beans as my coffee machine has a grinder but that is as far as it gets. Once grinded I put the coffee powder inside the coffee filter and the smell of coffee is part if the reward I must say.

2 Likes

Cakes, pancakes, soups, quiches etc… Hubby makes the pizza from scratch I make the quiche.
I used to make my own bread and yoghurts but not anymore.

1 Like

Fruit with mayonnaise, that’s an acquired taste!, not my preference, but hey ho, each to their own i say

2 Likes

Have you tried add two whole green cardamom pods to the mill as well…it adds a delicious delicate fragrance and taste to the coffee.

2 Likes

Nope but that sounds interesting. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

HI Azz.
I use half minced pork,half minced beef,and 4 pieces of streaky bacon.
Put those in a large pan and cook until brown,add onions,chopped celery and garlic add 2 tablespoons of tomatoe puree,a can of tomatoes mushrooms and mixed herbs.
Cook slowly on the hob,or place in a dish in the oven,gas 4 for 1 and a half hours,or on the hob and test it every 20 minutes until you are happy it`s ready to serve.
Meant to add,scoop the fat after you partly cooked the meat,healthier option Azz.

1 Like

I like the 50/50 mix of pork and beef mince. This is the combo I use for meatloaf and meatballs.
Recently, though, for bolognese and chille con carne dishes I’ve replaced half the meat with lentils. These are simply from a tin with half of them mushed before adding to the stew. For me there is no negative impact on flavour or texture but it means halving the meat and doubling the fibre. It’s like I’m healthy.
Last few years I’ve been making my own flat breads. Ground cumin and fennel seeds, lots of crushed black pepper go into the flour, water and olive oil mix. Plus a little dried yeast so I get some rise. I’ve worked out that mixing it all in a bowl with a fork is so much easier that getting your hands gunged up with wet dough. Once its almost come together I then flour my hands and knead for 3-4 minutes. Much less mess. The flat breads go with anything spicy and humus, tapenade, etc.

4 Likes

I’m a dab hand at omelettes.

1 Like

Oooh that sounds good to me Lincolnshire.

1 Like

Thanks BV! Tho personally I would keep the fat as I believe animal fats are really good for us :smiley:

Now you mention it I feel like some of that too! My niece makes a really nice CCC so I’m gonna have to ask her for her recipe!

Looks good - what’s the recipe Paul!? :stuck_out_tongue:

You have a food point Azz,but i do not like to see the fat,it spoils my meal.

2 Likes