Anyone make their own sourdough bread?

I’ve been craving a lot of childhood foods lately, and a piece of toast dipped in a lovely poached egg is one of them!

I used to make my own Sourdough but cut out all wheat and gluten products a while back, am thinking about getting back into it though.

I know @Meg use to make her own sourdough bread, what about anyone else? How do you make your starters? What flours do you use for your loaves?

I think I used to use 50% Rye flour and 50% Spelt for the starter, and then 50% wholewheat and %50 Spelt for the loaf - it’s been a while so I’ll have to try and find my notes!

1 Like

it’s interesting you posted because I was just thinking of sourdough when making a comment about lectin on the fast food thread. I recently had some Promise sourdough rolls having read that they were low in lectins and I have to say it’s the closest to a real bread taste for GF and they didn’t leave me with that carb bloaty feeling that many GF breads produce. I will definitely be going for the sourdough option again.

I used to love waitrose slice rye bread but haven’t looked for it for years since I’m GF. Although in the old days I used to be able to eat it without feel rotten afterwards. I wonder why they don’t make rye bread from just rye flour. I haven’t come across this.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever tried it. I notice they have sour dough bread at the supermarket so I might try some.

Over 40 years ago I tried making my own bread, it was OK but really not worth the effort. Takes a lot of time and a lot of washing up when I can wander down to the local bakery 5 minutes walk away and buy their fresh baked bread any day. I usually buy a dozen wholemeal rolls and freeze them

Wasn’t @Realist a sour dough fanatic?

1 Like

most probably

1 Like

I have made Irish soda bread
It’s quick easy and delicious :drooling_face:

1 Like

Do you have a tried and tested recipe? I would like to try a gluten free version. Do you need yeast?

1 Like

I’ve not tried gluten free …

This is the recipe I’ve used . No yeast or kneading :wink:

Sometimes I add oats

3 Likes

Thanks - is that really the way buttermilk is made - just milk and lemon?

1 Like

It works well …and cheaper than buying ready made buttermilk @ 90p for a very small carton…would need to buy 2 cartons. Also I use less salt

2 Likes

You can make chickpea starter, if you’re still trying to dodge gluten and wheat a bit

2 Likes

I should also add that after 50+ years of eating wholemeal bread, for me, white bread looks like there is something wrong with it, I assume sourdough bread is a “white” bread?

Wholemeal bread is quite difficult to make at home as I recall.

1 Like

I used to make sourdough with 50% Spelt and 50% Wholemeal - am pretty sure 100% wholemeal can be done :023:

Yes it can be done, bakeries do it all the time - I have successfully done it but I can’t remember how other than it wasn’t worth the effort - I was a 20 something at the time.

1 Like