What diet works?

If it’s not in the house I don’t think about it.So the trick is,for me anyway ,not to get tempted into buying anything naughty when shopping.

1 Like

I have cut down on portion sizes and cut out completely chocolate, biscuits, crisps etc. we sit watching TV now with some fresh fruit. I have not weighed myself but know how my clothes feel and they are more loose.

A lot of people I know are moving away from slimming clubs and devising their own diets or just counting calories.

Eat less, move more

any diet that gets you doing that consistently will work.

If it is something you dont like and you dont stick with it, it wont work, no matter how good it is in theory or how well it suits other people.

3 Likes

There is no such thing as a comfy diet, it has to hurt to be effective.

1 Like

It has to hurt to be effective …surely not !
It’s a life style eat less move more & fill up on fruit & veg … a diet for a lifetime.

Spitty’s right…Fruit and veg only goes so far when you need some energy.

Its a Funny Ole Thing . What we should, and what we shouldn’t eat, At any given time. To maintain a healthy Diet.
Age and Physical Activity certainly plays an essential part.
During 16yrs in the Service Three, as much as you like meals a day, couldn’t come fast enuff . Embedded and carried on after discharge. Gaining weight, well over the BMI target.
Retirement and reassessment.
Resolve. “Eat when Hungry”.
Which didn’t occur at traditional Breakfast or Lunchtime. >> Cawfee twice a day. One meal circa 7pm!!
Much flak from the Kiddywinks. “You must eat Breakfast Daddio. Or your Dead” :smile:
Nope. Fit and ready for purpose. Puurrfict BMI as is.
And not spending the legacy. :innocent:
:rofl: All the way to the Pub.

3 Likes

Diet the natural way.and the way you live ….

Walking , best exercise ,
Food,………anything goes, in small proportions
Drink plenty of water …
Ive stayed the same weight ,since aged 16….

3 Likes

I always think a pleasant journey helps you arrive at your destination, more quickly, and in better shape.
Masochism and dieting do not go well together. :smile:

2 Likes

I dont agree with that.

On the contrary I think a downfall of many diets is that they are extreme changes and then people dont stick with them.
White knuckiling through only goes so far.

Finding a way of eating that yo u can stick with and that suits you long term will be far more effective.

1 Like

There are many Diet Clubs claiming to make dieting easy peasy, and making a fortune out of it. Its not easy, nor should it be, folks don’t remember stuff done easy.

My reply had nothing to do with a diet fruit and veg only ! It addressed the problem of ….spittys comfy diet. There’ is no need to go through pain to achieve weight loss…fill up on fruit and veg between meals
Of course a balanced diet containing the 4 food groups Is essential for healthy life.

1 Like

Its easy to put a kilo on, its hard to remove it (long term) a tough journey reinforces empirical knowledge Imo.

I have an inherited condition where my cholesterol and lipids are VERY high so for many years I’ve been eating a low fat diet. Even when limiting calories I really struggled to get below 85KG and stay there.
Last year I was diagnosed with type two diabetes. This now meant carbohydrates were the enemy. Six weeks ago I enrolled on an 8 week course to really understand how food affects blood glucose levels. Since starting the course I’ve lost 5kg just by going on a low carb diet. I was amazed I could now get below the magic 85kg ceiling.
The thing that worries me now is I’m eating much more fat than I was previously but I’ve been assured my cholesterol level should still decline. :thinking:
Looking at the science during the course it does make sense but it’s going against everything I’ve been lead to believe about food for the last 20 years.
When the course is finished I’m going to go for a blood test to check all my levels so I’ll keep you posted when the time comes. :crossed_fingers:
(Anything less than 130g of carbohydrates per day is considered a low carb diet, I’m currently averaging 60g)

1 Like

I wasn’t having a go at you personally Ripple, I would have quoted that bit whoever would have posted it.
It’s personal preference Ripple, and I’ve never found much use for fruit (although I eat lots of veg) apart from an apple every day I don’t eat any fruit.
Sorry if It came over confrontational, it wasn’t intended.

1 Like

yes of course keep away from gimmicky ’ lose it i quick and easy diets’ that charge you money

that doesnt mean it has to hurt to be effective though - finding a reduced calorie way of eating that suits you long term and that you can stick with comfortably is the way to go.

1 Like

You don’t need to join a diet club to lose weight, although some people might benefit from the support of others.
Sometimes i think it could be counter productive if others in the group are losing weight and you’re not for whatever reason.

If i needed, or wanted to lose weight, i’d stay away from people telling me that my diet is doomed to fail unless i make it as difficult and painful as possible.

1 Like

Oh I don’t know Anise. Back in the day Mrs Fox joined a small group of ‘Slimming World’ at our local church hall. She was nudging 14 stones and felt she was putting her health and ability to stay mobile in jeopardy. She had tried many diets but always failed after a few months. She attended the class religiously and after 12 months became slimmer of the year and won a pack of Pork pies and sausage rolls…Only joking! She could almost out walk me on the hills during our visit to the Lake District. I was so proud of her.
Gradually though as old age and health problems made her less active she has returned to being a little overweight, eating so many biscuits and cheese hasn’t helped, but although she hasn’t rejoined Slimming World she walks with her friend every day. But I think it’s more for the nag…
I was so surprised how good visiting Slimming World had been for her and would strongly recommend that anyone wishing to lose weight should give these diet clubs a consideration.

2 Likes

That’s great Fox, success for your wife, but not for everyone.
Years ago my cousin, and sister joined diet clubs at different times with no success, but both lost several stones between them using various other methods.

So that’s why i say “You don’t need to join a diet club to lose weight”.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear the low carb diet has helped! I think everyone’s posts makes sense. The main hang up is to form a new habit and stick with it. My tries since the new year:

Gym- been there only 3 times since end of last year. Will try and go again today.
Eating more fruits and vegetables- After day 2, it gets hard to maintain.
Keto diet…I gave in with a cookie and bread, might try again.
intermittent diet… the 16 hours…geez that’s long.

I believe its a journey. I’m hopeful still and to get off of pre diabetic before my annual exam in June. I said no to blood pressure meds last year. We’ll see this year.

1 Like