What books are you reading now?

At the moment I am most of the way through “The Taking” by Dean Koontz.
The wife bought it for a pound in a supermarket.
Im near to the end and finding it really boring. I cant wait till its finished then I can buy a more interesting book.

I recently finished
‘The Lovely Bones’ by Alice Sebold, a novel written from the perspective of a rape/murder victim.
I found it riveting until the last few chapters when it seemed to get a little lost.

I am now reading ‘Strange Places, Questionable People’
by John Simpson.
quote Amazon…
John Simpson has had an extraordinary professional life: he has been to 101 countries, interviewed 120 rulers of various persuasions, and witnessed 29 wars and uprisings. He had an ill-fated spell reading the Nine O’Clock News, and was also the BBC political correspondent (which he loathed).

I am enoying the book and finding it very interesting.

Well I am ashamed to say …I am not reading at the moment, well about a year really. The last book I read was The Island byVictoria Hislop.

I’ve never heard of half of the books mentioned (well, more than half really), but it is fascinating hearing about what people read. I’ve just started Anna Karenina, as it’s a book that I have never read (and it’s free on Kindle).

I love the free Kindle books, Daisygee, also the 99 cent ones; can’t go wrong at those prices. Actually, I’ve found some excellent reads that way. Anna Karenina’s a classic, read it back in school. I like fiction: psychological suspense, medical thrillers, some sci-fi and fantasy … anything that’s an engrossing read!. :smiley:

The new Ruth Rendell, anyone? She is unsurpassible in her genre!

I don’t seem to get the time to read these days,

I did get through a lot of stuff when trying to keep down the hospital food but that is another story.:blush:

I did like an old Charles De Lint Fantasy, Greenmantle.
And James Herberts Magic Cottage kept my attention for hours.

I have to confess that the Kate Ellis: Wesley Peterson Murder Mysteries were nice to pass the time but got a bit samey after the first half dozen.

Much the same with Stuart Pawson: and his Charlie Priest Mysteries.

Eileen :-)I used to like Ruth Rendall but rarely read fiction these days unless like the book above someone passes it on to me.
I don’t have a lot of time available for reading and when I do read I prefer biographical books. I think I have one of RRs books in the house somewhere.

I think this is my problem too, and I am often telling myself ‘Make time for reading!’ I love reading and find that it’s a habit I keep getting out of. :frowning:

I’ve been an avid reader as soon as I learned how. My Mom used to say “That child always has her nose in a book” …I’m in the process of moving, and mentioned before there was a bookcase in every room but the living room and bathrooms. Yes, one in the kitchen … cookbooks!! :mrgreen: Finding time for other things is my problem, Daisygee. :smiley:

I certainly think you have your priorities right, dandysmom. There is absolutely nothing quite like a good book. It’s just brilliant and magical when you get lost in the story, isn’t it? But do you ever get that deflated feeling when the book you are reading is finished? Like you just want it to go on for ever? I really must make more time for reading …

Daisy :slight_smile: with some books when finishing them I felt I had lost a good friend …

Yes… torn between wanting to know how it ends and not wanting it to be over!!!

I’m honing my dog training skills at the moment, so I am re-visiting my books on training methods.:shock:

Apart from that, I often find that many non-fiction book are more interesting than fiction. I like all the David Attenborough ones and anything to do with natural history always holds my interest.

I know, me too. It’s like a grieving process, and then … we move on to the next one, and get lost in that one too.

Yes, it’s exactly that! This is why I never look at the end of a book until I’m actually there. (I don’t understand how some people can do that.)

Daisy :slight_smile: I thought it was just me ‘being silly’, glad I am not the only one :lol:

The other problem I have with reading is when I ‘get into’ a book I become totally oblivious to those around me so much so I can’t hear people when they speak to me. This means I can’t take a book to read when waiting for an appointment (Dentist/Dr etc) because I miss my turn :lol:

Any one like Maya Angelou, I like her books and her Poetry,also the Irish writer Marian Keyes, very funny, oh yes and poetry byPam Aires.If spelt wrongly please forgive an old age pensioner!.

I’ve just finished “Paths of Glory” by Jeffrey Archer. It’s a dramatised biopic of George Mallory and his attempts to scale Everest back in the twenties, which many people believe he accomplished, a full 30 years before Edmund Hillary and Sherpa Tensing.
It’s certainly a stirring tale of much darring-do, and I enjoyed it very much…

I don’t know very many of her works, but you might like this:

It’s an amazing poem.

Oh no, you’re definitely not the only one! I love the way you say you can get totally lost in your books …