What books are you reading now?

I’m just finishing Fever of the Bone by Val McDermid. She writes the tv series Wire in the Blood and this book is a story about those characters. It’ gripping, and very well written.
But I’m rushing to finish it because I have Neon Court by Kate Griffin just arrived. It’s about a London in which dark magical forces exist alongside the ‘normal’ scene.

How about you?

1 Like

Just finished The Well Grounded Rubyist, now I’m reading Programming Ruby.

Engleby by Sebastian Faulks

Mankind’s Worst Fear, sci-fi on the Kindle; have an H. Ryder Haggard I’d not read before waiting: Cleopatra.

I just finished ‘The Fort’ by Bernard Cornwell. Now I’m reading Mini Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella. I like to read something important, then something silly and so on and so on.

The Road Ahead- Bill Gates.

sounds more like a threat than a book title! :lol:

In a way it is but only if your frightened of computers and Big Brother.

Now I know why he is one of the richest people on the planet.

“Foundations” by Isaac Asimov, a classic. 3,332 pages long. I’m about 57% through already. I also have “Foundations 2” waiting in the wings.

The Midwife Trilogy

I’ve just finished reading The Midwife Trilogy by Jennifer Worth. Set in the East End of London. Three books in one and well worth reading. Would recommend to all. :smiley:

Just rereading “For Richer for Poorer” by Victory Coren.

I have a great passion for 50s and 60s American comic books. I’m amassing a collection of hardback “archive editions” I’m currently reading “weird science” early 50s science fiction tales. Wonderful stuff. The artwork in particular is amazing!

How I wished I’d saved some of those magazines: Amazing, Astounding, Weird Tales … they’'d be real collectors items now; as would my Batman comics have been!

I’m 1800 pages into Isaac Azimov’s Foundation classic. There are 3332 pages and I’m getting bored with it. The writer jumps around huge gaps in time, giving the reader little meat to savor.

Currently reading “Human Punk” by John King. I found the book (written in 2002) in a charity shop and was attracted to it for two reasons. Firstly, the main character had been born, grown up and ended up in Slough - my home town. Secondly, the title was also the title of a song by the punk band The Ruts, and I knew the Ruts personally as I used to drink in the same pub as them when they were living in a squat in Hayes.
Although my own youth was about 15 years earlier than the kids portrayed in the book, we shared a lot of similar experiences and I still recalled many of the places mentioned in the book. For example, the main character in the book was thrown into the canal (the Slough arm of the Grand Union) by older youths at the age of 15 - so was I and I remember it well.
The book is a very realistic and authentic view of young people growing up in Thatcher’s Britain struggling for some meaning and definition to their lives.

Mick

Foundation is what I think of as “hard” sci-fi. I prefer the lighter sorts, like Anne McCaffrey’s Pern series, or Marian Bradley Zimmer’s Darkover novels. Or some of Heinlein …

Right now I have started reading the book “The book of tomorrow” by Cecelia Ahern.

People of the Mist … a novel by H. Rider Haggard, he of She, and King Solomon’s Mines fame … not as good as the above so not surprised it’s not too well known; but a good adventure in darkest Africa story.

I’ve moved onto a very good book called “I Am Number Four”.
A movie of the same name based on the book was just in the movie house. I haven’t seen the movie yet but I’m enjoying the book.

I’ve just started an Ian Rankin novel “Bleeding Hearts”, which has started well. I enjoy crime thrillers and have just finished the first Lynda La Plante book with Anna Travis as heroine, “Above Suspicion”, which I enjoyed thoroughly.