What book are you reading now?

I have that one on my list to read Ulla. At the moment I’m reading The Bird In The Bamboo Cage, nearly finished it. What a wonderful book: set in China in WW2, it tells the story of an English school for, among others, the children of missionaries. Then China is invaded by Japan and the entire school become prisoners of war. Well worth a read.

I’m reading Wolf Hall too, what a wonderful writer Hilary Mantel is. I am well and truly hooked.

I’ve almost finished “The Vanishing Box” by Ellie Griffiths. Next one on my list is “The Thursday Murder Club” by Richard Osman.

I’m reading The Trial by Franz Kafka. Had to wait for an English translation before I could fill a gap.

Love his books, started off with Metamorphosis in my teens and read them all in short order. The Trial is my favourite.

Followed his books up with Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn for some inexplicable reason, I must have been going through a depressed period because I followed this up with Gunter Grass.

Kudos! That’s not exactly light reading all of which I haven’t done.

Tim Weaver “No One Home”. A group of houses and a farm in a lonely valley, all the residents and their vehicles have disappeared completely overnight. No strange tyre prints, no sign of violence, all neighbours were very good friends. No mobile phone activity, no money drawn from any accounts … cue spooky music …

I certainly don’t hate reading new authors. What annoys me is reading the synopsis and still not finding out the plot as it’s full of waffle and reference previous books. So irritating. If you always stick to familiar authors you miss a lot.

I like Ellie Griffiths, books but haven’t yet read Vanishing Box. The Thursday Murder Club is good. :slight_smile:

I gave up on The Thursday Murder Club after 3 chapters. I thought it was really silly.

Now I’m 2/3rds the way through The Law Of Innocence by Michael Connelly.

I have finished Wolf Hall and just started Bring Up the Bodies.

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett.

Those Who Forget by Geraldine Schwarz

I for one would like to read your opinion of it when you’ve read it. It looks interesting.

About half way through. Interesting so far, seeing how a family progressed in the context of highly turbulent times.

I am reading light hearted femme books at the moment…just because I can…

Maeve Binchy the Author that I really like for these cosy romantic but some edgie moments along the way…the latest is Nights of Rain and Stars. My favorite ones…4 books in order…Tara Road, Scarlet Feathers, Evening Class then finally Quentins…
I read a lot on History, of whatever draws me at that moment…

I was listening to a review on the radio this morning of “The Nowhere Child” by Christian White and it sounds like a fascinating book about a girl who thinks she discovers that she was kidnapped as a child. There are lots of twists and turns in the story apparently. This is the start of one review

Kim Leamy is approached by a stranger who believes her to be Sammy Went, an American girl who went missing when she was two. It sounds farfetched but the timeline adds up and a couple of details emerge that force the photography teacher to take the claim seriously. To complicate matters, her mother died a couple of years earlier so Kim, who must begin somewhere, starts by searching her childhood photos for clues.

I wonder if anybody has read this book? Was it a good read?

I’ve started the James Potter Series, the follow on to Harry Potter. Not written by JK Rowling but you’d never know it. It starts when Harry’s oldest son starts at the school, many of the Characters from the Harry books are also in these books, but obviously older. I’m really enjoying them…

It was Maeve’s Light A Penny Candle that started me reading again after four children knocked me sideways with exhaustion!
Loved that book, and always been grateful to it.

1 Like

I’m waiting for Dan Brown’s next release this September - I’m hooked on his books!

Still busy with Robert Jordan : Eye of the World

I’m reading Miss Benson’s Beetle by Rachel Joyce. I loved her The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and The Love Song of Miss Queen Hennessy, two books which should be read side by side if that were even possible, but definitely not a prequel/sequel. But actually it is probably best to read Harold Fry first and then Queen Hennessy. I honestly cannot recommend these two books enough!

So, Miss Benson’s Beetle. Another quirky book. Well, a book about a quirky character really, which Rachel Joyce is very good at. Wonderful characterisation. I’m thoroughly enjoying it!

1 Like