What book are you currently reading?

I’ve just started reading Bram Stoker’s Dracula.
I had a Kindle for my birthday so I thought I’d get my head around this new fangled way of reading with something gothic.

Incidentally, I’m chapters ahead listening to the very same story on Amazon Audible.

Poor Lucy’s getting it in the neck .

3 Likes

I like Dickens BUT I’ve always seemed to have seen the film before I’ve actually read the book.

3 Likes

Same experience here but the book is so much better. I imagine the scene remembering the film :movie_camera: so no imagining the characters. Not always the best - I enjoy my own imagination more as it’s what makes reading so fun.

3 Likes

I was given a Kindle,they are a good idea but I prefer to read a paperback book.It’s what I’m used to I suppose.

3 Likes

I’m with you entirely, nothing beats the tactile feeling of picking up a book.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to put this on my reading list, the film was pretty decent with quite a cast.

There used to be racks and racks of second hand books available in the vaulted cellars below The Charing Cross Road way back when. My parents used to take me and I’d fill my boots with books for a pittance.

4 Likes

I enjoy is less famous ones more than the two famous ones too. I like Keep the Aspidistra Flying and A Clergyman’s Daughter

1 Like

I bought The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner because I liked the film.But the book itself is just a collection of short stories with the title being the first.The film was much better also written by Alan Sillitoe.

Something uplifting and cheery :partying_face:

Accompanied by a hefty great cheese sandwich just before turning in… pleasant dreams indeed!

1 Like

Uplifting and cheery? Really?

I just finished Patricia Highsmith’s The Talented Mr Ripley. Had never read any of her books and knew nothing about author and book, so started reading without any prejudice. The first eighty pages were a bit of a drag but when he took action it began to captivate me as I wanted to know if he’d get away with his murders. Was interesting to compare police work now and then when DNA didn’t play a role and lots of crimes were not solved. Detectives basically had to rely on fingerprints and the notes they’d taken in order to spot any contradictions in the statements made by the suspects. While reading, I noticed that I was getting more interested in what he was doing to cover his tracks rather than being abhorred by his murders. I had to be careful not to accept his misdeeds as inevitable as the author wanted to get them across. I wouldn’t have expected the outcome of the story but learnt that the author has a soft spot for culprits.

Absolutely sidesplitting :wink:
I’m reading Ligeia at the moment… Roger Corman produced and directed a film based on this short story.

TheTombofLigeia-Still2

1 Like

Silk Road by Colin Faulkener

The Wishing Well by Anna Jacobs.

The Secret Rooms by Catherine Bailey

I’m reading it because I read another of her books Black Diamonds which I really liked

Both are based on remarkable research on powerful people hypocrisy and the first world war worthwhile read.

I just finished Shell Beach by Davis Bunn. An excellent read.

1 Like

Currently reading two books while I plan my next trip :wink:

2 Likes

Code Girls Daisy Styles

The Seven Year Slip by Ashley Poston…a fiction book of time lost and found. More here than meets the eye.

1 Like

A fortunate Life by Albert Facey

A very moving book

1 Like