What book are you currently reading?

Just A Regular Boy by Catherine Ryan Hyde.
She is a remarkable author, and this is her latest book. I couldn’t put it down. She has a way of allowing you to see and feel the entire personality and leaves you wanting to know even more about the characters.

I’m still reading “Is There An Afterlife”, by David Fontana. It’s a big book, and I’m reading around 7 other books, so things tend to move slowly, for each book.

Nearly finished “The Concubine’s Child” by Carol Jones am not enjoying it as much as “The Boy in Blue Trousers” but it is quite readable. I just find any element of the supernatural very hard to take.

A Yorkshire Vet Through The Seasons by Julian Norton. The Vet on The Yorkshire Vet on TV.
He is similar to James Herriot.

The Return Of Rafe Macade by Nora Roberts. Typical Mills & Boon.

Currently reading “All The Light We Cannot See” by Anthony Doerr.

I watched the series on Netflix - highly recommend watching that and then the book appeared on the trade table at my seniors’ meeting so I happily paid the $1 they wanted.

Am only a few chapters in but enjoying it very much, very readable BUT you have to note the dates before each section as it seems to be one of those books that dodges backwards and forwards in time.

1 Like

That is on my ‘to read’ list. I get confused with flashback books, same with films. :joy: but I am looking forward to reading it.

I have read that book All the Light We Cannot See. I like good historical novels.

I agree the time swapping around between chapters was confusing at times

I recently reread the whole series of Hornblower books from when he was a teenage Midshipman to his appointment to Admiral as Lord Hornblower at the age of 46 - written by C. S. Forester. I would be interested in helping to start a bookclub. What does this entail?

It’s nice to start off a new year with some fresh inspiration!

A virtual book club would entail a few members joining a thread, deciding on a particular book, choosing the amount of chapters to read and discuss in a thread on OFC.

Love and Dr Devon by Alan Titchmarsh.

1 Like

The Critic ~ Peter May.

The Scarlet Nightingale by Alan Titchmarsh.

The Secrets of Gaslight Lane by M.R.C Kasasian.

If it’s anything like the others in the series it’ll be humorous, entertaining to read but also a little gory,
Rather good, if a bit oddball Victorian crime mystery.

Earth Abides by George R Stewart, for the umpteenth time. My favourite book ever. A disease wipes out nearly all civilisation. A few survivors get together and try to rebuild their lives. It’s not like most survival stories, where the survivors immediately get guns and start to kill everybody else. This group live peaceably, but have to contend with many problems, as the power and water supplies fail, and various plagues of pests appear. As the years progress, the leader tries to school the children, but fails and eventually the tribe live a scavenging lifestyle. He realises that eventually this will end so he makes a bow and arrow, and makes a game of shooting. On the day a boy comes back with a rabbit he has shot, the leader knows his tribe will survive. A really super book. Last time I looked it was still available on Amazon.

That sounds a good read! Might try to get hold of it. I remember reading “Lord of the Flies” by William Golding. Sounds like this has a similar storyline.

@littleannie … sounds a little different. I might give that a go.

It’s still available on Amazon greengage and Morticia, as a paperback or in Kindle form. I have just bought it on Audible with a credit, so I can listen while doing a jigsaw. My dog-eared paperback is falling to pieces, having been read so many times! I originally got it at a jumble sale about 50 years ago. As with all book reviews some people love it and some don’t. It wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things would it?

1 Like

For anybody who likes historical fiction can I recommend Norah Lofts’ trilogy The Town House, The House at Old Vine and The House at Sunset. The story of a house and its occupants from medieval times up until about the 1940s. The 3 books need to be read in order. They are available on Amazon in paperback, or Kindle form. At the moment they are on offer for free with Kindle Unlimited if you subscibe to Amazon Prime. Also on Audible. Another of my absolute favourites!