What book are you currently reading?

I have Overdrive, soon to be Libby.

Ah. A happy, healthy 2023 to you - with plenty of books.
:slightly_smiling_face:

Just read Revenge by Tom Bower .

I have just started this but it is very promising.

This popped through the door a few minutes ago, a used book from Amazon.

In the mood to re-visit a classic.

1 Like

I’m pulling them in threes, because bad concentration and boredom sets in, if I don’t change books, day to day.

“The Silver Mind Control Method For Getting Help From The Other Side”, by Jose Silver.
“The Angels Beside Us”, by Glyinis Amy Allen.
“Spirits Beside Us”, by Chris Lippincott.

Voltaire .The Ingenu.

“History is but a tableau of every crime and depravity…The leading characters are invariably depraved men of ambition.”

I just started this book. It’s very interesting.

1 Like

Is it just out of interest or are you suffering from some sort of trauma?

I’ve just given up on the short stories of Guy de Maupassant. The humour is too dark for me.

I’ve been reading American feminist literature “the Group” by Mary McCarthy. It focuses on the lives of a group of Vassar girls post graduation in the 1930s. Funny, shocking, ascerbic, it was very popular in 1960s USA. Women trying and failing to make a mark in what was very much a man’s world. It’s fascinating because it gives a microscopic insight into the privileged young woman’s lot in that pre-war era. Class divides, sexism, politics, corruption etc.

I didn’t realise that Deborah wrote best exotic. I haven’t read any of her books since her very first “you must be sisters” was given away with a magazine (She or Cosmo) and I read it when I was prepubescent schoolgirl. I remember it made quite an impression on me at the time. It was based around her wild time studying at Bristol Uni. I must look up the Carer.

The Library by Bella Osborne,
“Two lonely bookworms. An unexpected friendship. A library that needs their help
‘A touching story of a friendship between a troubled teenager, a yoga-practising farming woman in her seventies and a local library. A delight!’ – Sunday Times bestselling”

1 Like

It’s purely out of interest. I’m currently reading a case study on a Vietnam vet.

1 Like

Vet as in veteran or veterinarian? Personally I would find the latter more interesting.

Definitely a veteran - it’s amazing how the mind works in extremely traumatic situations.

1 Like

Soho: A History of London’s Most Colourful Neighbourhood

1 Like

The Commando Who Came Home To Spy

William M Bell

ISBN 978 0 9520479 2 6

1 Like

Coming up for Air by George Orwell.
It’s before his famous ones and more readable I think.

1 Like

Another re-visit.

4 Likes