US moves to ban abortion

But it’s not destroying a life. That’s the point. At best it’s a potential life. That’s all.

Why should any medic destroy life because some woman has been careless in contraception?

It’s not destroying life and medics are supposed to put the well-being of their patient first. Look, there’s clear blue water between the pro-life and the pro-choice camps. There always will be.

Well being yes .
Convenience no .
I disagree their are completely valid reasons for a woman having an abortion as has been listed .
Contraception is not one of them .

But it is just another form of contraceptive.

let the medical profession decide or let the judges decide ?? - an interesting juxtaposition - did these same judges give their unequivocal rationales why they made this decision or is it just the same old gut reactions to life in general? I always thought the choice of abortion was a private matter between the woman and her doctor? why are judges needed?

Of course they’re not.
When the judges find themselves pregnant and appalled, scared, frightened, desperate, then they might, in my eyes, be eligible to have a view.

Meanwhile a woman who is pregnant and horrified will always find a way to fix it.
Better she does so safely and early on and legitimately.
Now we’re back 50+ years where she will be at the mercy of untrained and unskilled abortionists…

1 Like

It’s 24 weeks because of the required development timelines for the foetal anomaly scan. I have friends who discovered at that point that the baby’s brain or skull had a serious abnormality. They are religious so carried to full term. The baby died at birth. It was heartbreaking but their choice to avoid abortion. So for several months the mother knew that her baby would not survive.

There is a misconception that women in the UK have abortion on demand but the law stipulates about 4 conditions from the Abortion Act. These conditions are perhaps not taken seriously enough. Point a) below is the most frequently used. It’s never followed up to check if it validates. But after 10 weeks I don’t think the medics take it lightly.

a) that the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the
continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy
were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman
or any existing children of her family; or
(b) that the termination is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the
physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; or
(c) that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk to the life of the
pregnant woman, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated; or
(d) that there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from
such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped.

You roused my curiosity about abortion in Australia because I didn’t know the rules because it is state based (like the US)

It looks like abortion is available to women on request up to about 20 weeks (varies by state, in NSW it is 22 weeks) after that time it needs the approval of two doctors.

What I didn’t know is that each state has set a safe access zone around abortion clinics to protect the women entering. In NSW it is illegal to protest within 150 metres of an abortion clinic.

2 Likes

so we have good gun laws and good pregnancy laws - god dammit I knew we were better at summat against those damn yankees!!

1 Like

AT you don’t seem to understand the meaning of the word .
Contraception is a way of preventing the conception of a child not killing it after conception.

1 Like

Thankyou for that information Annie… I did say in my post in normal situations abortion should not happen after 12//13 weeks…I emphasise normal situations because of cases like your friend which is not normal and must have been harrowing for her…I hope she is OK now .

I agree the rules need tightening up and checks should be made to ensure they are adhered to

Prevention of delivering a birth is just another form of contraception. It achieves the same intended outcome. Simple.

Actually it isn’t really. Contraception interferes with the normal fertilisation process.

Doesn’t matter. The intent is the same and the result is the same. In any case the way that IUD’s work is to prevent implantation of a zygote (a fertilised egg) which is why some god-botherers who become aware of this refuse IUD’s.

Contraception prevents life forming in the first place, though. The way you are describing “preventing a birth” , means that life has already begun and you aim to stop it growing any further…at least that’s how I’m understanding it from you.

From my reading ~ IUDs are contraceptives, not abortifacients.
An IUD prevents sperm from fertilising the egg

Repeating the fact that abortion is a contraceptive doesn’t make it one.

Kind of …

The Supreme Court ruling of Roe vs Wade was a legal case which is used by Americans to overturn the state laws on abortion (such as Texas or Wisconsin where it is “illegal” and increase the gestational termination date for states that restrict it). It means that a woman can (because of the Roe vs Wade ruling) have an elective (for whatever reason the woman gives) abortion up to the point of birth. There is no restriction on gestational age of the baby under Roe vs Wade.

By the Supreme Court overturning the Roe vs Wade case ruling it means that all (except 8 states, I think Texas, Wisconsin, Missouri, Alabama and some others) can use their own laws on abortion. In most cases the abortion laws haven’t been reformed since 1973 (since Roe vs Wade) or even used since then. That was about 50 years ago …

The Supreme Court ruling has now passed abortion law to each individual state by overturning the Roe vs Wade case (this wasn’t actually the law anyway, it was a case that was referred to so that women could take the state to court, use Roe vs Wade as the example of legislation and overturn the law of the state, in favour of the ruling that was made in the Supreme Courty of the 1973 Roe vs Wade case).

However, if the Supreme Court had legislated a new law, this would have been in violation of the Constitution because the Supreme Court is not allowing a law to be made under a democratic vote (passing the laws back to each state). Remember, Roe vs Wade was not a law that made abortions legal in the USA, it was a case that was ruled in the Supreme Court in favour of abortion in that case, the circumstances meaning that it could be elective and with no gestational limit.

Returning the law back to the individual states means that each state can have a democratic vote by the people on what the laws need to be - according to each governor / senator who has a mandate to be voted on). The law in most states has a maximum gestational period of around 26 weeks (23 in the UK) it is only the 8 states , Texas Wisconsin, Alabama (I can’t remember the others) where it is illegal. I think there are still that are “unrestricted” but I will have to check.

Now, considering these laws haven’t been reformed since 1973 (Roe vs Wade would overturn them), now is the time to reform them and bring them up to date with the rest of the world.

Personally, I think even a gestational period of 23 weeks (> 6 months) is too long because a baby can survive premature birth at around 20 weeks using post 1973 technology. A period of 16 weeks (4 months) should be more than adequate for a woman to decide whether to keep a child or not and so we should reduce the gestational limit to around 18 weeks from 23 here in the UK.

If you look at the protesters in the USA they are mostly the crazies, on one hand the “every sperm is sacred” brigade, the other the women drawing “Not a Human” on their stomachs and exposing their genitals and covering themselves in red paint. They are supported by Antifa and the hard left if you look at the marchers, with Mad Maxine Waters and people like that demanding the burning down of the precincts.

Ireland had a ban on abortions until recently, as does the catholic faith, for example in general. It wasn’t long ago they also outlawed contraception, so the church is starting to reform itself with birth control. The UK used to fund Irish abortions until recently under the NHS and with Roe vs Wade being overturned, some states have already declared themselves “sanctuary states”. The thing here is that the USA need to completely reform their abortion laws and bring laws into line with the rest of the world, IN EVERY STATE and then pass the decision on whether to have an abortion or not onto the individual, as is here.

I hope that explains, apologies if not, I’m bad with hay fever and waiting for the meds to kick in.

1 Like

Read further.