US moves to ban abortion

I don’t know what to think .
Is this a step backwards ?
Personally I am against abortion after 12 weeks unless for exceptional circumstances but a woman’s body is a woman’s own body
America is such a strange place

I don’t know either, but if your going to have one, then get on with it. Why wait?

I note Justice Alito is a man which should not make a difference but nevertheless somehow does .

It won’t get it but the US needs massive constitutional change. This ruling, if it is genuine, comes from a political supreme court filled with right-wing republicans that have tenure for life. Where is the democracy is n=such a half-arsed situation?
The US is heading at breakneck speed to a transformation into a perpetual right-wing Christian theocracy, kept in place by the actions of republican =s in charge of enough states to make sure their backward, antidemocratic inclinations become the status quo. This is a recipe for eventual insurrection.
I can see secession becoming a real possibility.

4 Likes

Does this mean US women will have to go to backyard abortionists?

@Bruce , But they have just come away from that !!
It makes no sense ?
I blame the religious nature of America !
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I don’t really understand it but at the moment, isn’t it illegal for individual states to ban abortion?

But if this goes through, they’ll be allowed to?

So, even if it did go through, which it doesn’t look as if it will, it won’t mean abortion is automatically banned all over the US

But individual states could choose to ban it

That would be bound to lead to women travelling to different states to have abortions, like used to happen in Ireland

2 Likes

It will be decided on a state by state basis with women in the repressive states banned from travelling for an abortion

1 Like

@Devo , But how will they know what they are travelling for ???
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

What do you mean?

I think that Donk means - How do they know if you are travelling out of state in order to get an abortion ?

@Muddy , Yeah, right on muddy !!
How will the powers that be know the purpose of the ladies visiting other
states ??
Surely it would be an imposition by the powers that be to carry out an
inquisition before allowing them to travel ??
And it could lead to other impositions also if this passes the vote !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Can they do that, ban them from travelling, I mean?

I remember in Ireland and Northern Ireland they couldn’t make it illegal to travel to the U.K. for abortion?

1 Like

the issue still comes down to “are you killing another human being or just an early unformed foetus that is not human” nothing has changed since ano domini

biblical abortions

get ya teeth around that one?

Your ability to bring any subject back to the bible is amazing .
However in this case there is some relevance as all this abortion issue stems straight from the Bible Belt of the States .

I don’t think it does come down to that, well, not for me, anyway

My personal opinion is that abortion is wrong and if I had one I would indeed be killing another human being, so I would never have had one, at any stage

But I also understand that not all women think like that, and women often conceive in very difficult circumstances, so I think what they do with their own bodies is up to them and their beliefs, and none of my business

I wouldn’t want to see women driven back to using back street abortionist, home remedies or having a baby they don’t want because of poverty

So I’d fight for women’s right to abortion, even though I don’t believe in them, if you see what I mean

I’m not pro-murdering babies.

I’m pro-Becky who found out at her 20-week anatomy scan that the infant she had been so excited to bring into this world had developed without life-sustaining organs.

I’m pro-Susan who was sexually assaulted on her way home from work, only to come to the horrific realization that her assailant planted his seed in her when she got a positive pregnancy test result a month later.

I’m pro-Theresa who hemorrhaged due to a placental abruption, causing her parents, spouse, and children to have to make the impossible decision on whether to save her or her unborn child.

I’m pro-little Cathy who had her innocence ripped away from her by someone she should have been able to trust and her 11-year-old body isn’t mature enough to bear the consequence of that betrayal.

I’m pro-Melissa who’s working two jobs just to make ends meet and has to choose between bringing another child into poverty or feeding the children she already has because her spouse walked out on her.

I’m pro-Brittany who realizes that she is in no way financially, emotionally, or physically able to raise a child.

I’m pro-Emily who went through IVF, ending up with SIX viable implanted eggs requiring selective reduction to ensure the safety of her and a SAFE number of fetuses.

I’m pro-Jessica who is FINALLY getting the strength to get away from her physically abusive spouse only to find out that she is carrying the monster’s child.

I’m pro-Vanessa who went into her confirmation appointment after YEARS of trying to conceive only to hear silence where there should be a heartbeat.

I’m pro-Lindsay who lost her virginity in her sophomore year with a broken condom and now has to choose whether to be a teenage mom or just a teenager.

I’m pro-Courtney who just found out she’s already 13 weeks along, but the egg never made it out of her fallopian tube so either she terminates the pregnancy or risks dying from internal bleeding.

You can argue and say that I’m pro-choice all you want, but the truth is:

I’m pro-life.

Their lives.

Women’s lives.

You don’t get to pick and choose which scenarios should be accepted. It’s not about which stories you don’t agree with. It’s about fighting for the women in the stories and the CHOICE that was made.

Women’s rights are meant to protect ALL women, regardless of their situation!

Overturning Roe does not stop abortions, it stops SAFE abortions!

I copied and pasted. Feel free to do the same.

7 Likes

that’s just what I said but quicker?

When push comes to shove elective termination should be seen as what it is. Just another form of birth control. No more and no less.