Two billion people in the world are over 50

Nothing to forgive, I’m sorry you are feeling poorly, it’s not nice. Big sis hugs. :hug: and feel better soon.

I’m taking a week off.

1. Not all of them are members here.

2. Not all of them exercise.

3. Those that do exercise don’t always have time to post in fora.

Seriously though, Floydy, I am sure some of us, including me, do have some sort of routine - but - wouldn’t it be a bit like ‘ground hog day’ if we posted the same thing each day?

No, you’re not - you’re just lurking, logging in every so often but not posting … :wink:

I ride my bike but not to the degree that I did when I used to post regularly in this section. Therefore not much point in mentioning it. I still walk briskly for miles to the same degree but that’s not really worth mentioning either.

I know that digging and looking after an allotment is not considered as ‘cutting the right image’ but I do that as exercise too …along with many others on the allotments who are much younger than me. Some well below 50 I’d say.

If I came on here and said I’d dug a bean trench and later, filled it back in nobody would be impressed. Similarly, if I said I’d wheelbarrowed manure or woodchip many yards from the heap to the plot and then spread it out, that wouldn’t be thought a real workout either. :slight_smile:

That’s basically why I think I don’t have anything worth posting about here.

I’ve been swimming today, I did 30 laps of the pool

[CENTER]Two billion people in the world are over 50…[/CENTER]

How do we know this?
Has someone counted us all?
And strange how it came out at a round figure…:017:

I suspect it has been calculated from a random selection of people and multiplied…
Therefore there must be a tolerance…Say Plus or Minus a few hundred million or so…
But the population of the world is only an ‘Estimated’ 7.5 billion…
So there would have to be a tolerance on that too…Say one billion each way…
Therefore, the two billion is basically a figure that’s been plucked out of thin air and could be wildly off the mark and just there for effect…:shock::shock::shock:

To be honest Mart I can relate to your post. I go out and run the same courses every other day, and although I thoroughly enjoy it, it doesn’t inspire a report every time, or even most times, and when I do a post I find myself just repeating the same old stuff…Yawn!
Keep up the good work though Mart, your body will appreciate the effort…:wink:

I cycled to the allotment again (on the e-bike today). I had to be careful riding because of the icy paths. I was the only daft one there on this cold and frosty morning. :slight_smile:

It was time to transfer some of last year’s manure from the heap to another part of the plot (manure doesn’t smell at this stage). I filled up a wheelbarrow with the stuff and manoeuvred it around the winding bumpy paths and tipped it over where it needed to go. I did this 10 times.

The day was still cold and frosty but I had to remove a few layers of clothing by the end of the job. This is a workout by any standards in my opinion but it perhaps doesn’t carry the same street cred as other ways of keeping fit. :slight_smile:

Good workout Mart, It sounds like a street cred workout to me…:cool:

… same here, swimming pools too. I used to swim daily in the sea when in Portugal, I miss that.

It’s only what I read. I didn’t make it up…
https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-percentage-of-the-world-population-is-over-50
As I was saying…

Sorry Floydy, I didn’t mean that you made it up. These guys admit there could be a massive deviation…But isn’t this how the internet and especially the media throw a few statistics at you and all of a sudden it’s the ‘Holy Grail’…:107:

[I]Roughly it looks like about 2 billion out of 7 billion are in that age group. So, 25% to 30% is probably about right.

It’s difficult to get accurate numbers. Some parts of the world have little data, so best guess projections are used. If the error it ±2%, and the estimate is 2/7, then this is probably as good an answer as any.[/I]

I know mate, but some people really do get so serious about a thread which was only meant as an incidental chatting topic.
Maybe they’d be happier talking to their cats and chickens lol.

Yes, you did say … :wink:

I’m a gardener and do a lot of weight lifting, getting my mower out/in of the car. Walking said mower up and down gardens. This time of year lots of stretching with my lawnrake to gather leaves, bending to pick up the leaves, etc. Quite a bit of exercise but not really what I’d put in an exercise thread.

Three years ago I drove a snowmobile 508 km from near the Norwegian Russian and Finnish border down into Finland then back into Norway(a different route) and visited the second most northerly point in Europe.

On my 70th birthday, in February, I should be out in the wilds about 200 miles above the Arctic circle.
I think I’m reasonably fit for my age.

Get well soon Floydy

I agree Mags. The only reason people feel they need to exercise now, is because we have too many machines to do the jobs for us & some eat too much!
Sport is exercise but only those, who can do it well, want to play. When I was a first aide for a rugby team, I think I had as much exercise as the players :lol:

I think exercise is just another word for movement, and many of us don’t need a plan to do the things that involve moving,they are just normal daily jobs!

FGS look out for the polar bears.

They’re much further north

[quote=“Muddy, post: 1825311”]
FGS look out for the polar bears.

Wow. The film ended right at the crucial part!

I wonder what happened? It was rocking the vehicle about and trying hard to get in, you could see the bloke’s face change as he started to get worried . . . then suddenly no film!

Did the bear lose interest and wander off? Did one of the crew shoot the bear? I’d like to know what happened.