The Windsor Agreement Stitch Up

Remember when you used to say you want Brexit to be a success ?

The specific line of logic is:

• unfortunately the UK has given itself the mess and self-inflicted set of problems that is Brexit
  • getting back into the EU, even if there was massive popular support for that (in the EU and in the UK), is not going to easy or quick
  • I personally wish the UK and its people (and my money) well and hope for economic growth
  • these self inflicted problems are acting as a drag on the UK economy
  • therefore the need now is to reduce the problems that Brexit creates, not make them worse
  • that means finding ways to get back closer to the EU

You appear to think “what we need is even more separation from the EU, even greater distance, even further mis-alignment”. That, in my view, is adding to the problems of Brexit, not reducing them. So the opposite of an answer.

Answers below.

• unfortunately the UK has given itself the mess and self-inflicted set of problems that is Brexit
    These problems are because we haven’t Brexited properly. We voted to leave but we are still tied into the EU because of the NI Protocol and the TCA.

• getting back into the EU, even if there was massive popular support for that (in the EU and in the UK), is not going to easy or quick
    We don’t want to be back in the EU - we voted to leave but we haven’t left yet.

• I personally wish the UK and its people (and my money) well and hope for economic growth
    The UK is out performing the EU and has done since we “left”.

• these self inflicted problems are acting as a drag on the UK economy
    The self inflicted problems are caused by our Government not leaving the EU like we wanted and instead, shackling us to the EU through the NI Protocol and the TCA.

• therefore the need now is to reduce the problems that Brexit creates, not make them worse
    To reduce the problems we need to tear up the TCA and the NI Protocol and leave completely with no trade deal.

• that means finding ways to get back closer to the EU
    We do not want to be in the EU. We voted to leave

Like most remainers, you still don’t understand why we voted to leave. The problem is that we haven’t.

2 Likes

Everything great in France, with Macron probably out by the end of the week.

As the Netherlands rejects EU net zero nonesense and the party supporting the Dutch farmers makes massive gains in the provincial elections. Goodbye Mr Rutte

Very interesting article here on how the Windsor Framework results in the UK being dynamically aligned to the EU.

The stitch-up continues.

Your grasp of reality is weak. Your recollection of the promises made back in 2016 is heavily filtered. Your understanding of trade seems close to pitiful. I’m not going to go to your for views on how to make Brexit better as you approach will make everything much worse for everyone.

We were told “the whole of the UK will leave the EU”. That should be simple enough for even you to understand. As for my suggestions for my approach to make the UK have a proper Brexit then thats also widely documented - this isn’t just my personal opinion. If you truly wanted Brexit to be a success you would agree with me, but you don’t, which says a lot more about you than your posts.

Your problem is you just can’t handle people that are way smarter than you.

2 Likes

Ridiculous. Your preference of dropping out of the trade deal will add tariff costs to the existing customs delays & costly paperwork. There are no serious commentators, economists or business people who see that as a good idea. This idea is only for fringe thinking, not sensible policy making. The lessons from exiting the customs union, even with tariff free trade, is that this is hurting the UK economy.
I’d like to see the data that makes you think the UK is growing faster than the EU - how can it when the UK has the lowest growth of the G8, except Russia?
Its nice that you ignore the whole NI and Good Friday agreement issues. Your plan means a hard border in Ireland and killing off of the peace agreement. Explain why you think that’s a good idea.
You want absolute Brexit even if it means more troubles, lower growth, worse debt. Next you’ll tell me that you really, really like the UK - its just you want to harm it to get your idea of utopia. I’m struggling to see how that is smart

1 Like

Currency fluctuations affect the cost of goods more than tariffs. It’s a complete myth.

The EU doesn’t have trade deal with the USA or China - two of its biggest trading partners 
 go figure.

The UK has the highest growth in the G7 as well, stop believing predictions by the IMF and the like, they are always wrong, just like the stupid predictions of doom and project fear they came out during the referendum. All wrong

The Northern Ireland Protocol breaches the GFA and so does the Windsor Framework. We don’t need a hard border on Ireland for goods, we’ve never had one. The border on Ireland was a security border and if you read the EU’s own research on the matter, you will realise that they don’t need a hard border either. It’s called Smart Borders 2.0. Go and read it and educate. yourself.

There’s always been a tax border a VAT border and currency border between NI and the republic

You haven’t a clue what you’re talking about.

I’m not going to wait holding my breath for any serious politician or commentator to voice your views. Sure the destructive nutters in the Brexit party (or whatever populist name Farage will dream up next) can think along your thinking. But they, and you, are very much in the bleating minority.
I note that you both think the hardest possible Brexit is now desirable and that Truss’ budget was the best thing for the UK. Do you ever wonder why just about everyone disagrees with you? Don’t you wonder why its only a reckless minority that share your views? Could it be that you are, what’s the word
ah yes, wrong?

I think you will find more people agree with me than disagree with me.

The problem with EU nationalists are the same as any other nationalist. Nationalism never ends well.

There is nothing wrong with having an independent sovereign nation. The union of the UK has not only been around far longer than the EU, it is also complete. We have a single market, a customs union, a single currency, open borders, a centralised taxation system, a central bank and devolution. If anything, you should be congratulating the UK for achieving everything the EU can’t.

The EU is a failure, it was supposed to bring countries together. We left.

The only person who is wrong here is the guy who thinks the UK would be better off joining a half baked union thats a failure and falling apart.

1 Like

I could not vote for “the leaders” of the EU. You probably mean the leader of the EU council, I guess. That would be very difficult to do in practice I guess. Having 200m voters and chosing leaders out of 27 member states.

We seem to be very different characters, as I would not laugh at victims.
However you can be sure how much I envy you for not being a victim. You probably have willingly chosen to be blatantly being lied at by the “superiors” and you are therefore no victims.

I’ve “chosen to be lied to by superiors” ???

Takes a lot to come up with something as stupid as that :lol:

Err, ever heard of the EU Parliamentary votes ?

Of course, but the EU parliament is probably not what OGF considered as the “EU leaders” in his question. At least that is what I assume.

Thank you for confirming my assumption by your response :+1:

You said “I guess. That would be very difficult to do in practice I guess. 200m voters and chosing leaders out of 27 member states”

Nice try at swerving the point.

Besides the USA seem to manage it

Nationalism? Is that not exactly what you’ve been espousing all along?
It is clear that you hate the EU. But your claim the “more people agree with me” is simply empty and unfounded. Perhaps in whatever echo chamber you share your thinking, yes, lots agree with you. But out in the real world, point me to who agrees with your economic suicide thinking? (Please cite Farage, because that would make me laugh out loud.)
Luckily very few share your crazy notions. There will, as we likely move away from this pish tory government, be a trend towards closer cooperation with the EU as this is the easiest way to address the UK’s problems. Not further away and definitely not a ditching of the trade agreement. You will no doubt moan and bitch furiously about it but that is how it is going to play out. No trade deal with the US (they’d humiliate the UK in any negotiation anyway) and none with China (which will be more and more pariah state like Russia as they press to invade Taiwan).
So the UK is, as it always was, left with its nearest and richest neighbour. No government is going to suggest damaging that (already badly fractured) relationship further.
As an aside, it means that the group name for you and those who agree with you should clearly be ‘remoaner’. You moaned about the EU first time round, now your not going to get your way on ditching the trade deal, you will be moaning again. Remoaner. Its got a ring to it.

1 Like

What part of the EU referendum in the UK didn’t you understand Strath?
The fact that the majority of UK citizens voted to exit?