The Windsor Agreement Stitch Up

By appointing Ursula Von Der Leyen as the leader even though she wasn’t even on the ballot ? How’s that working out ?

It’s more interesting looking at the pleb level, and social implications than focusing on the shenanigans at the top, Imo.

1 Like

Truth is, the EU is just to big wieldy for its own good…

1 Like

And I fully expect the Tories to take advantage of not having to keep to those minimums and allowing our workers to be exploited and forced into jobs with poor pay and conditions

Forcing jobseekers into jobs like that by threatening to withdraw benefits etc is simply providing exploited wage slave labour for their chums, always a popular objective with the Tories

The enlightened protection from EU laws on things like minimum wage, paid annual leave, sick pay, maternity/paternity leave were a major reason I wanted us to stay in

We simply can’t trust our own governments on this, especially as our voting system means it’s hard for the exploited to get them out by voting

And creating new jobs is exploiting the situation if they are low quality wage slave jobs and people forced to take them to exist, while employers rake in the profits

A poor quality job that means a life of poverty and misery is only better than no job because it means you might just be able to afford to eat

But not to have a children, have a home, heat that home or do any of the things that make life worth living. It’s just wage slavery to contribute to the wealth of the employer

And I fear that’s what’s coming here now we no longer have the protection of EU standards

1 Like

Maree, one of the reasons businesses (farmers in particular) wanted us to stay in the EU was so they could take advantage of cheap labour from places like Poland and house them 2 to a bed in caravans, paying them minimum wage minus expenses. Leaving the EU means it’s way harder for farmers to do this now we have a Visa system and the workers get full exposure when coming here to work so the farmers are no longer under the radar. Thats why farmers are up in arms - they have to pay proper wages or invest in automation through machinery and the likes.

This still goes on in the EU though all the time, the UK leaving means we can treat workers way better than when we were in the EU because we don’t have other stupid laws like the “working time directive” that meant self employed people couldn’t work unsociable hours and longer hours such as taxi drivers (although we ignored it mostly).

I suppose the bottom line is that successful businesses need to compete to attract the best people. You do that through better pay and working conditions, including things like gym memberships, private healthcare, pensions etc. If the government doesn’t deliver, vote them out - you can’t do that with the EU.

1 Like

Quoting the official data (ONS, EU website) the rate for UK is 3.7 vs. 6.1 in the EU. That is not exactly double but not too far from it.

I am anxious to see by what those 4000 “EU” rules will be replaced with. Hopefully they are not just removed but replaced by something much better (better than those laws which were approved by the UK). That could take some time I guess :shushing_face:

Hi Maree,
do not worry, everything will be fine. Your gov is even taking care that no voter fraud happenes in the next election by introducing voter ID.
Those few (thousands, hundreds of thousands, millions) who struggle to decide between heat or eat will surely have no problem paying for an ID card to be able to vote.
For comparison: my wife and I got new passports and ID cards. We paid 220 EUR for all 4 documents.
Do you now feel safer when voter ID will be introduced? :shushing_face:
Some silly people claim that it is part of a plan to prevent people from voting Labour next time. Stupid idea…

I really hope that the 4000 EU laws bill will not end the way you described it.
However having watched UKs politics since Brexit I am not optimistic.

1 Like

Spain is more than double, so is Greece. Look at youth unemployment especially in Spain those figures are shocking. 6.5% average is bad enough, especially when only a few years ago the UK had full employment.

EU rules will be changed in loads of areas such as VAT rates, food labelling, gene therapy, clinical trials banking, insurance etc. Why would we keep EU rules when we left ?

As an example (and something I’ve been banging on about for years) is binning the EU laws that prevent the method of production (slaughter) of meat products being included of food labelling. We should make it clear that Halal slaughter methods (which are barbaric and should be banned) have been used on labels so consumers can avoid buying them. That way we can improve animal rights across the board in the UK.

Just one example.

My guess is that it will take a long time until 4000 laws are identified, removed and maybe replaced with something better.
All that I read was that the gov intends to “scrap” those laws/rules and not replace them. If all those 4000 laws were so bad, why were they introduced by the UK gov I wonder.

I will judge it after the gov has actually delivered and not only announced something.

You’re not related to William Joyce by any chance?
Is that why your avatar is a number?

I had to look that name up as I did not know who that person is.
Why would/should I be related to that man? What if I was?

No no, the number “7779311” is the title of a song from the band “The Time”. The drum part of that song is pretty difficult to play and it was programmed when it was released. Having been a bass player since I was 14 I was lucky to play with some few drummers who actually could play that part.

It was a spontaneous decision to choose that username when I signed up?

Please allow me the question (as I am German): why does every conversation sooner or later leat to the subject of WW2?

I think the song is inappropriate for this forum…You are having a laugh!

We were at that point some years ago already :man_shrugging:
You are free to call me by my name if you wish.

Thank you Frank.
:+1:

When Brexit was first suggested, my comment was, how long will it take to legitimately unpick all the legislation that had been amassed during membership. This may be the problem now, trying to unpick legitimately?

You are welcome Robert, nice to meet you :relaxed:

1 Like

The EU laws were introduced from EU directives through the 1973 Communities Act.

Good evening,
you poor souls were victims of that vicious EU which pressed lots of bad laws on you (the UK).
If you only had had a say during that time. I can now see why you all are so glad to have left.

Maybe my irony and/or sarcasm is just too obvious. We Germans have a somewhat direct/straight language. I am still learning… so please do not judge me too bad.

The main thing is, that in a free democratic civilised world, people have the right to choose who governs them. And the majority in the UK voted to exit the EU. We have a saying in the UK Frank…“Better the devil you know”…

Incidently, did you vote for the leaders of the EU? Or were they thrust upon you?

You still are victims LOL