Summer Insect bites

“Rhesus?! They’re monkeys, aren’t they?”

:grin:

Ha!
Who are you? The organ grinder? :laughing:

1 Like

That looks more of a spider bite you had. Never seen a mozzie bite like that.

No, I don’t ever recall anyone ever telling me my blood group, even after giving birth. And as I said earlier, my GP said there is nothing on my medical records either.
Perhaps I don’t really exist even. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mups, You have blood tests, don’t you? Couldn’t they tell you what your blood group is with your results?

I don’t think a spider bit me. I had been digging in the garden and it was in an area where l’ve seen red ants. I think it was one of them.

Neither my GP nor my venesection nurse have my blood type on their records, either … :man_shrugging:

Next time I have a blood test I will ask them, but not sure if they would know, as they would be looking for whatever the doctor wants checking, not for blood groups.

Anyway, if they checked blood groups when we had a test, it would be on my medical records, wouldn’t it.

1 Like

Thats interesting, Omah. Glad it is not just me.

1 Like

I don’t know my blood type either, now I think about it. And if you were to ask (like I will at my next visit) they have to tell you, surely? You have the right to know.

2 Likes

Pixie, I am sure they would tell you - if they knew.
But as I said earlier, they told me recently, that there is nothing on my records.
I must say I was quite surprised at basic stuff like that not being recorded.

2 Likes

It should certainly be included on hospital records, Mups, in case you had an accident. Giving you the wrong blood could be ( and has been in some cases ) fatal!

I would be asking someone to check and have it included it in all your medical records.

2 Likes

Well exactly! Name, address, date of birth, blood type…this should be on everything medical :woman_shrugging:

I’m on a mission now - even if it means phoning up the receptionists on Monday morning :smiley:

2 Likes

Go for it, Pixie, it is vitally important.

2 Likes

To find out your blood group, a sample of your blood has to be taken and tested. However, GPs do not routinely check people’s blood groups.

You can also find out your blood group by giving blood.

When is someone’s blood group checked?

Healthcare professionals sometimes need to know a person’s blood group for medical reasons.

If you need a blood transfusion, the blood group you receive must be compatible with your own blood group.

Your blood will therefore be tested before you receive a blood transfusion to make sure you are given a matching blood group.

Giving someone blood from the wrong group can potentially be life threatening.

If you’re pregnant it’s also important to know if you are rhesus negative or positive. Find out more about rhesus disease.

Healthcare professionals will also check a person’s blood group before they:

• give blood
  • have an operation (surgery)
  • donate an organ for transplant

If the NHS stonewall then, if required, a kit may be purchased:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Blood-Type-Test-Kit-EldonCard/dp/B002ZU7GIW?th=1

1 Like

Given that most of us have given blood, been pregnant, and/or have had surgery, I am still very surprised that we don’t have this info on our medical files as a matter of importance. :astonished:

2 Likes

No, they do not routinely check - but - you can ask for it to be done. Everyone should know their blood group - it is a vital piece of information.

1 Like

ATM, my GP surgery does not do blood sampling or testing.

How strange. If they want to check your bloods do they send you to your hospital then?

1 Like

I’ve never been pregnant, I have never given blood but, every few months, several litres is drawn off and discarded. I have had surgery several times so my consultants and their teams must know but I have lost touch with them.

1 Like

Well I didn’t like to stipulate “women” because y’know…pc-ness and all that! :joy:

1 Like

The hospital will only test the blood of current hospital patients with an appropriate form - sampling is by appointment only. The alternative for GP patients is a walk-in centre.