Summer Insect bites

Every summer I suffer terribly with insect bites.
My Mum was just the same.

I think they are Gnats, but never see or feel anything on me until it’s too late.
Sometimes they swell and burn so much, and are so painful, that the Doc gives me Penicillan.

It’s asking for trouble if I am still in the garden watering at dusk, for example.
Last night I wanted to finish planting a new Rose, and it was dusk. For that, I got NINE new bites! They seem to be able to get in my clothes as these are all down my ribs on one side.

I have to check around my bedroom walls and ceiling before I get into bed, because if there is a little blighter there, he will zoom down and get me while I’m asleep, then I wake up with even more.

Does anyone else suffer like this, and if so, what to you do about it?
I seem to remember seeing somewhere that it’s certain certain blood groups they go for more than others.
Any ideas folks?

Avon do a skin oil called skin so soft which works as an insect repellent, although it was not designed as one.

A few years ago I reacted to a horse fly bite on the nose and ended up in hospital on a drip. it was after that I did research and found out about the oil.

2 Likes

Have you tried Avon SkinSoft?

It’s not really an insect repellent but it’s got Citronella in it and works really well

So well, in fact, the Marines use it!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4809726/Avon-2-25-moisturiser-Royal-Marines-swear-by.html

Now I can’t vouch for it working on marines but I am prepared to volunteer to rub it on for them, all in the name of patriotism, of course :rofl:

I don’t get bitten a lot but my son does and he used it on a trip to Scotland to the lochs where he usually gets eaten alive and didn’t get one bite

It smells nice too and is cheap enough so it might be worth a try

Sorry Maver I know, I didn’t see your post before I posted!

Snap!

2 Likes

Oh Mups,i know exactly how you feel.
I get bites all of the time,many years ago i had to see my GP as my leg was swollen and i was in agony.
He said i have rich blood which they are attracted to.
I spray peppermint oil and lavender oil around doors and windows and any gaps.
That keeps them out of the house and spiders and wasps too.
I am allergic to all medication so i have no choice but to try alternatives,red wine does the job for me lol.

Mups, Google chiggers, these might be the little blighters that are feasting on you….

I can only echo that and vouch for its effectiveness! Living in Scotland, we are plagued by midgies, so yep, get some Avon! :+1:

I bought the citronella oil one year but then didn’t have reason to use it so I don’t know if it works. I didn’t care for the smell so I was glad I didn’t have to use it, but they (online reviewers) say it works.

I hope you find something that works, Mups. I hate those bites.

1 Like

Oh Mups poor you .
Mr M suffers just the same they just love him.
Never move an inch without a tube of Anthisan at the ready .
Apply to bites and it will take away the sting and itch . Apply as necessary .
We always have one in the bedside table drawer .
Get two tubes in case you can’t find one .

Might be just as well not to go out in the garden around four onwards .
( At least that is what happens to poor horses with sweet itch they get bitten and it triggers the reaction )

Thanks very much Pixie, Maver-rik and Maree for the Avon suggestion. I will look into that tomorrow.

Muddy, I have got some Anthisan, but it doesn’t seem to do the job for me at all. I’ve tried it for the last couple of years, but not found it much help.
Thanks very much for trying to help though.

1 Like

Isn’t it strange how some of us suffer and others don’t.
I have now got 13 instead of the earlier 9 !

I dabbed some lavender oil on the bites this afternoon, it is one of the few oils you can use on the skin undiluted. Then this evening I smeared some Aloe gel from my big Aloe Vera plant on them, that soothed for a while. I am also taking some anti-histamine tablets now.

I need to be careful what I spray indoors, or burn in my oil burner, because some essential oils are harmful to dogs. I know Tea Tree, Citronella and Peppermint is not good for them to inhale.
Thanks again for trying to help though. Hope you get through this summer easier.

Thank you for your thoughts, Primus. I seem to remember Chiggers are what they also call ‘Harvest Mites.’ I have never seen or felt anything crawling on me though.
Dogs and cats in the countryside can easily get chiggers as well.

Apparently with Gnats, I just found out it is the female that bites, and they also inject an anti-clotting agent into our blood, so it doesn’t clot and they can feed easier! Horrid little monsters.

I’ve been doing outside jobs in the evenings because it’s been too hot during the day, and I suppose that’s why I’ve got caught so much. It’s driving me nuts.

Have you tried mosquito coils? They definitely work to kill and/or keep biting insects away…

1 Like

Was just going to post that……

Blimey Bruce, you trying to get rid of me?
I have never seen or hear of those coils, so googled it just now.
This is what it came up with -

Is mosquito coil harmful to humans?

Inhaling smoke emitted by mosquito coils and incense sticks is not only harmful to the lungs, but can also cause cancer, said Sundeep Salvi, director of Chest Research Foundation.

That’s a bit too scary for me, thanks.
Anyway, how would that protect me when I am outside?
Thanks anyway Bruce. :smiley:

They work outdoors the smell of parithyum (sp?) keeps insects away

I always carry a pack in my camper

2 Likes

Not a problem I have ever experienced - sounds nasty!

The easiest is Aerogard of course, wear long sleeves and avoid dawn and dusk and don’t leave standing water about.

When I first came to Australia in the 1960s mozzies used to drive me up the wall, a bite would swell up my delicate pommie skin something shocking. I always slept with a mozzie coil burning.

After about a year or so I found my reaction to a bite was negligible with the exception of a bite on a joint (finger or toes) or my eyelids. These days, while I do try to avoid being bitten their effect is hardly noticed. I am more worried about things like Ross River Fever than the irritation of the bite.

Another great Aussie invention :wink:

Isn’t it weird how they are attracted to some people and not to others…thankfully they leave me alone…good luck zapping them Mups.

1 Like

Bluddy nora…13,i would be climbing the walls.
Yes,i know what you mean about pets and oils etc.
With luck you will find the oil/lotion or even better the solution that will ease the damn bites.
I hope you get through the summer too.

1 Like

My skin reacts badly to Insect bites so whenever I go to places where I’m likely to get bitten, I take an antihistamine tablet, such as cetirizine hydrochloride. The most well known brand name is Piriteze but I usually buy a cheaper own brand version from Tesco.
I also take an antihistamine cream with me just in case my skin comes up in lumps and bumps but I usually find that taking 1 cetirizine hydrochloride tablet a day stops my skin from over-reacting to any mosquito or midge bites I happen to get.
As with all drugs, you should always check that there are no contra-indications and that it’s suitable for you before taking it.

1 Like