Sponges, Cakes And Everything Sweet

OK, who revived this thread? I have just put on 2 kilos reading it.

2 Likes

That looks really yummy Pauline

1 Like

Well, I could take all the credit,Logan,:joy:

Maree made it!!..and yes I agree ,it looks absolutely scrumptious!..:+1:

1 Like

Sorry i miss read the post, yummy @Maree

3 Likes

Hi Maree, can you give me the ingredients for the frosting on the outside of your cake/ sponge please?..

Iā€™ve bought the lemons also lemon flavouring, lemon colouring, as I would like to make this todayā€¦I think your cake tins are much deeper than mine, can you also let me know their depth?..mind you, I could always use 3 of mine, then have a 3 layer cake, Iā€™m trying not to spend anymore money.than I already haveā€¦

1 Like

My cake comes out taller because my cake tins are 7inches and I do the Victoria Sponge recipe for 8 inch tins

My tins are deep, and take all the mixture, so I just cook it at slightly cooler slightly longer to make sure it cooks in through the middle

Iā€™m one of those annoying people who doesnā€™t always use recipes once theyā€™ve done something a few times!

So, no proper recipe for the butter icing but itā€™s about 300g of unsalted butter creamed into 600g of icing sugar, with a drop of yellow food colouring, a few drops of lemon essence, a teaspoon of lemon curd and softened with 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice ( see how it goes with the lemon juice, donā€™t use too much, you donā€™t want it too runny)

If you havenā€™t got any lemon essence, donā€™t let it put you off, itā€™s fine without it, I just use this one for extra tang. If you donā€™t have lemon curd, itā€™s fine without that too

Not on this one, because my son doesnā€™t drink alcohol, but on other lemon cakes and cupcakes, I have been known to add a teaspoon of limoncello! :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

1 Like

Made 6x1lb Christmas puddings, 3 for next year and iā€™ll cook the other 4 tomorrow.

With clean greaseproof paper and 3 layers of cling film

1 Like

I made this lemon 3 tier sponge cake yesterday, i would have liked a smoother frosting, I tried 3 shops, not one had that cake tool, or any cake decorations, looks like I will have to order from Amazon, I managed to get these tiny coloured decorations in Tesco, they never had the lemon and orange sugar slices either, like Mareeā€¦very disappointingā€¦anyway, hereā€™s the sponge and American frosting.

2 Likes

Looks yummy Pauline

1 Like

So do your Christmas puddings, I was licking my lips, when I saw those, :heartpulse:

I am not a good advert at the moment for healthy eating ,:joy:ā€¦

1 Like

Thank you Pauline, if you eat everything in moderation youā€™ll be fine, thatā€™s what i do.

1 Like

Indeed, everything in moderation, I made this for my friend, I decided to keep it, itā€™s the American frosting I love, I will refrigerate it, then once hardened,I will cut it into individual slices and freeze itā€¦

If you are looking to bake a sponge,Logan, look up the American recipes, they are absolutely delicious!..

1 Like

I find the American type frosting too sweetā€¦its ok in moderation but all around the cake is too much for meā€¦same with cup cakes too much topping puts me offā€¦each to their own.

1 Like

I made a caramel mud cake today, I donā€™t usually ice cakes but I did today, just a thin layer on the top.

2 Likes

Catalan Honey Cake.
Swimming in honey and olive oil, thereā€™s nothing light and airy about this, kind of stodgy but delicious all the same.

I havenā€™t cut it very well, zero out of ten for presentation.

4 Likes

Looks yummy,Bruce.

What does the icing / frosting consist of?

What ingredients are in this cake ,Chilli, I can see itā€™s a heavy cake, ā€¦it looks interesting.:grinning:

Just go for a quick Google, thankfully there arenā€™t many recipes available, the last time I checked it was only one.

Iā€™d cheerfully provide you with the link but Iā€™m still coming to terms with how things work on this forum, Iā€™m no techy at the best of times!

Youā€™ll get a batter rather than the traditional cake mix, hope that helps?

1 Like

Just found this recipe online, thanks ,Chilli,:+1:

I make a chocolate cake using vegetable oil, then a chocolate ganache filling and frosting.

I also make no butter sponges, unfortunately,cake doesnā€™t last five minutes in this house, ā€¦by the way, I think the presentation looks great, thatā€™s how it looks on the online recipe.:+1:

1 Like

Here is my cake cut with almost surgical precision.

As for the icing, it was in the packet I just added water and butter and threw half of it away (normally I throw all of it away).

I usually make their carrot cake but Coles havenā€™t had any in stock so I had to make do with this.

3 Likes