Sponges, Cakes And Everything Sweet

Art gave me an idea to start a topic about the sponge cakes and all the patisserie cooking you do, ?

I must say I love to look at the photos of your baked products, so thought this would be a great place to share all of that baking and photos.

Maybe Art could start us off by posting a picture of that delicious lemon sponge cake she made as well as anyone else who will be baking today.

Plus anything savoury, feel free to post a picture, come on ladies and gents show us your skills in the baking department?:grin:

3 Likes

Mrs Zaphod is the cake-maker not me so I will start this off with one of her creations.

9 Likes

Wow!! Wow!! And Wow!! Mrs Zaphod…I could never top that, I bet it tastes as fantastic as it looks,

I wouldn’t have the patience, that cake is art in itself, I love it, post some more pics of her cakes please Zaphod, when you can.:heartpulse:

The icing is perfect, I can see she’s a perfectionist, those type of cakes sell for a good sum of money as well, does she sell them Zaphod?:grin:

1 Like

No, she just makes them for family and close friends as a hobby but she has made some absolute corkers.
The only problem is finding photo’s of them.

8 Likes

I love that toy story cake ,I actually thought she was a professional cake maker, I’ve watched so many shows on YouTube especially the American bakers where they compete with each other, they come up with some amazing cakes, your wife’s are way up there with theirs…surely she must have had training?..or she’s just got that natural ability, it must have taken her ages to perfect the icing on those cakes.

I have tried unfortunately failed miserably…it takes skill to make cakes like that,:heartpulse:

2 Likes

For Mrs Zaphod it’s just a hobby and she’s had no training, but she has always been artistic whereas I might be described as more practical.

From cakes like these to glass engraving and decoupage Mrs Zaphod has great natural ability whereas I could (and have) build a conservatory and do the electrics and plumbing.

1 Like

That is magnificent! Very talented. I’m going to love this thread

1 Like

lemon pie
millionarires shortcake

viennese swirls
all been consumed of course, earlier photos.
apart from making shortbread a couple of times this past week, I have not baked anything sweet because I need to loose some weight…
shortcake

8 Likes

I can’t top that cake Maree, I just hope my baking doesn’t look to inferior up against it, when I post my pics,:joy:…

Oh Diane, wow!!..and I thought I was a good baker, is that lemon meringue?..that is fantastic looking meringue.:open_mouth:

I’m not up to the amazing efforts like Mrs Zaphod but I do like to bake

This was a trio of cakes I did for a birthday buffet

6 Likes

Yes as long as you keep the wisk going until its stiff then add carefully the fine sugar…slow cook in the oven is best…then comes out nice and firm as well…
All made from scratch as I have not seen any ready packs of the filling…

3 Likes

Maree, they look absolutely fantastic, so professional, the type you buy a slice of in a up market coffee shop, they are all placed under a glass type dome,:heartpulse:

2 Likes

Yes, definitely you learn through trial and error with meringue I find, it looks perfect,:grinning:

Love them Maree…we don’t need to be that good to bake…If you enjoy it that makes for a good cook I think. I never use to like cooking so much as I do now…
I’ll take a slice of each… ta very mooch…

4 Likes

I am still quite good at burning things though…I get distracted easily,
tell myself don’t forget and that, but has not helped at all…
I left the bath water running the other day for hours…I do know the overflow works now… :innocent:

5 Likes

I can feel myself putting on weight just looking at the photo’s of some very tasty-looking baking.
:yum:

1 Like

Seriously, we have some amazing bakers here, certainly up there with the professionals, thanks for sharing, really enjoying looking over this thread,:heartpulse:

A couple of birthday cakes I’ve made for my granddaughter - one for her 1st birthday and the rainbow one for her 5th birthday. My baking is usually much more commonplace, haha!

12 Likes

How do you get the icing to a smooth finish?
I have iced cakes and find I am better with a swirly finish…
hot knife…

2 Likes