Sponges, Cakes And Everything Sweet

Royal icing isn’t so easy - you have to use a long palette knife and draw it across the top of the cake until it’s all smooth. But in the two cakes I’ve posted, I’ve used fondant icing which you just roll out, like marzipan. Much easier!

ETA: it wasn’t until we cut into the rainbow cake that I realised just how thick I’d made the icing, haha - just as well my granddaughter loves icing!

5 Likes

have a long palette knife…ok royal as in your highness lol
I can remember in High School…they had cake stands that spun around, we use to put other things on them to see who could fling an item the furthest…

2 Likes

Lovely sponges Bathsheba, I’m feeling hungry,:heartpulse:…I love them both ,but my fav is the second one down…such a lovely birthday cake for a one year old,:heartpulse: I love the bunting and teddy bear.

1 Like

Easter cake!

9 Likes

Which half is mine?
:thinking: :grin: :yum:

2 Likes

Oh Maree, that is lovely, so tweet,tweet,:heartpulse:

1 Like

Thanks Pauline. I really enjoyed doing them both, but yes, the first birthday cake was pretty special!

Last years Halloween cake, it was a bit of a mess but tasted great
I made the buttercream with a Caramac bar and put chunky apple sauce in with the filling so it was like a toffee apple cake
The gang have asked me to make it again this year so I’m going to try to do a prettier version

10 Likes

I love the expression on that ghost face! It looks like its been caught short! :joy:

3 Likes

If it’s got Caramac buttercream in it and apples too then I don’t much care what it looks like, I would still want some.
:yum:
Oh and I too am liking your ghost.
:023:

3 Likes

Did you make the ghost, Maree?

Yes, it’s just rolled fondant and yes, now I look at him, he does look like he’s bursting!

1 Like

[quote=“Maree, post:28, topic:85464, full:true”]
Last years Halloween cake, it was a bit of a mess but tasted great
I made the buttercream with a Caramac bar and put chunky apple sauce in with the filling so it was like a toffee apple cake
The gang have asked me to make it again this year so I’m going to try to do a prettier version [/quote]

Ooh I do like the sound of this! Think I’m going to have to make one for my daughter and granddaughter. On the strict understanding that I get a large slice of course :grinning:

1 Like

Lovely baking every one.
Today made some jam tarts.and some biscuits, both for hubby but I do try the biscuits when I’ve just made them, just to make sure.

11 Likes

That’s just perfect!

Love the rainbow Bathsheba!

1 Like

My contribution. Chocolate cake for a friend’s daughter

9 Likes

Just a quick teatime treat

7 Likes

That is a beautiful pie Logan, with a perfect lattice.:+1::+1:

2 Likes

Your cakes look amazing Minx, and very professional, I just know you bake a lot…I could do with a bit of that cake with a nice cup of tea…:+1::+1::heartpulse:

1 Like