Scotland's Bid for Independence

Haha! Well I would say Rox is fiercer than me, so she can do it! I’d be all hugs and “aww never mind Nicola, it’s going to be ok” and Rox would be “just get it done will you, thanks”

Naw not really. But I must admit once I get on my high horse it can take a lot of yanking to get me off. :joy:

Lets just agree that we have very different opinions then and ignore each others posts!

1 Like

I think that it’s been said, many times, but how can Scotland talk about Independence whilst, at the same time, showing determination to get into the EU.

OK, they are trumpetting the independence plan, whilst not saying much about plan 2,

Is the EU member Independent?

Its independence from Westminster. Scotland was made to break away from the EU against our wishes.

1 Like

Maybe they would have been better refraining from the big vote.?

My Scottish friends, down here are complaining that they will not be able to vote, despite being born & bred up there.

Strange, really?

She still has not been able to emulate Alex Salmond and win an overall majority.

I’m not sure anyone would want to emulate him. Besides he isn’t doing so well with his Alba party is he?

1 Like

No, but she still hasn’t been able to achieve an overall majority.

She leads the largest political party in Scotland though? And is the one who is trying to get us away from London rule…even now she is requesting a meeting with Boris Johnston about action on the cost of living, and he is dragging his feet.

2 Likes

If you think there is a direct comparison between being one member country within the EU and being under direct control from Westminster then you really do not understand either. They are not the same or even equivalent. Only someone who does not understand both concepts would make that statement.

Well I do think you do have to live here…that’s the idea. No point in voting for the independence of a country you don’t stay in, is there?

1 Like

Hi

II am English, but can think of nothing better than not being under the control of Westminster.

2 Likes

Come on up here then laddie, I’m sure we can squeeze you in somewhere!

UK Parliamentary elections

"All British, Republic of Ireland and qualifying Commonwealth citizens meet the nationality requirement to register to vote in UK Parliamentary elections.1

Local government elections

British citizens, citizens from the European Union and qualifying Commonwealth citizens all meet the nationality requirement to register to vote in local government elections."

This isn’t just an “election” though, Scotland isn’t electing anyone, or anything. This is a referendum surrounding Scotland’s right to become independent. So its right and proper that such a vote should be from the people who reside in Scotland.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that. I was so surprised that your post stated that EU citizens (who have registered to vote) can vote in the local government elections that I went and checked. I should not have doubted your post. It is there clearly on the gov.uk web site. I’m surprised as post-Brexit I know that in most EU countries they do not allow UK citizens who are resident there to vote in any election. Not even for the local mayor of their village. The UK decision to allow non-UK citizens a vote in local elections is very interesting.

This is a referendum about Scotland’s Independence. Not an election. We aren’t electing anyone.

Of course it is about a referendum and you are correct to keep the chat on topic. However the relevance to voting in elections is about who qualifies to vote for elections and in referendums. It seems strange to me that I, as a Scot living in France, could vote in the Brexit referendum, could not vote in the Scottish independence referendum but can vote in UK general elections. I think that is very relevant to this thread.
(I will happily park the chat about UK / France local election voting - that was merely an item of interest to me.)

On this occasion, I was simply pointing out the difference between an election and a referendum, as I did to Ted. To vote in the Scottish referendum, you need to be resident in Scotland, which is different from being able to vote in an election.

Yes, I understand your point. But do you not consider it inconsistent that UK citizens resident overseas could vote in the Brexit referendum but people who are Scottish by birth but no longer live in Scotland can’t vote in an independence referendum? At the same time, citizens of other countries residing in Scotland at the time of a referendum, even temporarily living there, can vote. Would it not be reasonable to give all Scottish people a say in the future of Scotland?