Scotland's Bid for Independence

No.

If you live in Scotland, you get to decide.

If you choose to live elsewhere, then you don’t get a say.

1 Like

I understand what the rules were for the last independence referendum. I am simply noting that in living elsewhere, perhaps even just over the border in Carlisle or in New Zealand, you do not stop being Scottish by birth. And you may likely return to Scotland. And once Scotland gains independence you might be first in the queue to get a Scottish passport (and happily bin the UK one). For all these reasons, as well as the principle established in the Brexit referendum on who could vote, is it not reasonable to give all first generation Scots a say in a future independence referendum?

1 Like

Yes a different thing altogether. The Scottish elections only get a fairly low turnout of around 55-60% whereas the 2014 referendum had a 84.5% turnout. Result 55.3 against 44.7 for. This extra turnout is where the SNP miscalculated and makes it uncertain next time.

Not if they don’t live here, no. You’d need to ask Nicola Sturgeon that question, but I wouldn’t give a vote to someone who chose to live in New Zealand and may or may not return. What has Scotland being Independent got to do with them now?

Ok, you’ve demonstrated tons of openness and willingness to consider this issue.
What it has got to do with me is that I very much would like a Scottish passport should independence happen. I would qualify for such a passport as I am Scottish by birth. Given that it seems inconsistent that I cannot vote on this issue. I would contend that it has as much relevance to me as it does to some office worker posted from London to Edinburgh for a couple of years. No need to reply. Your position is clear. It would be interesting to hear other’s views though.

Erm…you do realise that forums are for the purposes of discussion, don’t you?

Yes of course I do. Discussion and exchange of views. If you want to add a new thought or suggestion please do.

I have just been looking at the structural and legal makeup of the United Kingdom of England; Ireland ; Scotland and Wales and it is a veritable minefield. The determined scholar may grasp it eventually but otherwise I would imagine it would take the services of some sort of legal begal to elaborate. One thing I know is that all the seperate parts that make up the UK have their own proud/and perhaps sometimes not so proud histories and honoured practices and customs often enshrined in law. And it still seems to be hanging well together by enlarge. However protection of their national images; practices and histories are I would imagine of some importance. Signed - pommie abroad with at least two passports and proud of each in turn!

You make a fair point. There will be complications, even if due to the ancient history of some of the agreements that brought two countries together. But also remember that Scotland retains it own legal system, its own education system, its own state owned water company and many services are also separately run from the English services (health, police, etc.). So it would not be a separation from scratch such as splitting Yorkshire from Westminster.

I hope Scotland stays part of the U.K. if it gained dependence it would wreck the union flag :confounded:
Flippant maybe but the flag is lovely .

1 Like

Not flippant at all, Ripple. The flag is symbolic of the Union…of the UK. It has all the associated colours, so yes it would look a bit different.
Its interesting to note though, that in the media…England is referred to as the UK, and the devolved nations are called their respective names. Perhaps in their heads, separation has already taken place? :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Sounds like some jobsworth had decided that you are not longer scottish.

My late Mother, a Dempster from Birth, and with all of the Kilts & Tartan, to go with it, was told something similar after marrying & living in England…!
Hard to understand why!

You are what you are born. Unless you want something different.

The Union flag means nothing to me as Wales is not represented on it just the crosses of St George and St Andrew.

little countries arguing?? - did you know that once WA wanted to break away from the rest of Oz and I think UK can fit into it Oz approx 10.4 times? well WA is the powerhouse of Oz and provides all its financial gains almost! - so lets all stick together - it is safer in the end especially with Russia breathing down ya neck??

The Union Flag traces its roots to 1606 when it was originally called the Flag of Great Britain. King James VI of Scotland had inherited the thrones of England and Ireland in 1603, becoming James I, and united the thrones of England, Scotland, and Ireland, in a personal union.

However, Wales had already been conquered by England in the 13th century. Originally ruled by the Romans in its early history, England and Wales were seen as a single unit. By the time the Romans left Britain, Wales became an independent state with their own system of law.

However, during the Norman invasion of Wales in the 11th Century, English law was practised in certain areas of the country. By 1283, under the leadership of Prince Edward, the biggest army ever seen in England invaded and conquered Wales, bringing it under English rule.

Therefore, a few hundred years later when England was to be joined in the union with Scotland and Ireland, Wales was already part of “England”, and thus was not represented in the new union’s flag.

1 Like

seems a pity and perhaps a continual thorn in the side of??

Dunno…But Anyone who knows anything about Me on this Site will know that the Union flag means bugger-all to Me either, :wink:

1 Like

Absolute joke! How dare they even say this with a straight face!

A) Nicola will tell them where to shove their clippers

B) Maybe they are trying to deflect from scrutiny of themselves and

C) I hope the First Minister redoubles her efforts to get us away from this horrendous pair of…of…erm…insert scottish insult of choice

1 Like

Oooo,don’t tempt Me as I don’t like Name calling,I’ll just leave that to those two tory ‘bampots’ and say both o’ ‘Their bums are oot the windae’
:wink:

2 Likes

Clearly this is the two leadership candidates seeking support from the (few) tories in Scotland. The tories hate the SNP and Sturgeon. But the only way to ‘clip the wings’ of the Scottish first minister and the majority SNP party is to change the devolution structure. Well that is only going to give rise to more support for independence. Which shows how truly ignorant these two tory candidates are.

2 Likes