Scotland's Bid for Independence

Given the recent remarks by the UK Government Ministers on Scotland’s second bid for Independence (IndyRef2), there really ought to be a thread about Indy Ref 2 so it can be discussed properly.

• Opposing opinions welcome but please keep all comments polite and respectful. :blush:

Liz Truss is currently one of two people bidding to become the new Prime Minister in the wake of Boris Johnstones resignation. Recent comments from her hit out at First Minister Nicola Sturgeon’s bid for IndyRef2, suggesting that the FM “should be ignored” and that she “is an attention seeker”.

These comments, in my opinion, are completely childish, disrespectful and unprofessional and I hope that the FM will treat them with the disdain they deserve.

2 Likes

Hi

To be honest, I am so fed up with the London Elite I would vote for independence for Shropshire.

2 Likes

Sorry Pixie but you weren’t on the forum back during the run up to the first one, The posts on here then were revolting, racist and full of hate of the Scots. It was so insulting and sick. I won’t take part in another thread like that again EVER. I saw so many members in their true colours and I haven’t forgotten who they are or their remarks. Neither have I forgiven them for it, and for driving several Scottish members off the forum.

2 Likes

Oh…well I’m still giving it a shot because it’s an important issue. I appreciate you not wanting to get involved because of previous incidents, but maybe new input from less hateful people than before, will be a good thing? I’d like to think so…on my own head be it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hi

Rox, I am as English as they come, we are not all bad or racist.

I would be very sorry to see Scotland leave, but I can completely understand why and good luck to you.

4 Likes

Hi Swims, Yes I’m well aware of that and I’m not putting all the members under the same umbrella. :wink: Just the ones it applies to.

1 Like

Rox, you mentioned earlier about John Swinney’s response to Lizz Truss calling Nichola Sturgeon an attention seeker and that she should be ignored. I haven’t been able to find anything about it - was this on the radio or online somewhere? What did he say?

1 Like

I, for one, do not want to see Scotland leave the Union. Because they are a very large part of what puts the Great in Britain. But, I certainly wouldn’t want to deprive them of the right to decide for themselves. Scotland we will be in England and Wales, the poorer, in many ways, should you decide to leave.

5 Likes

Thanks Dave…:smiley: Given that Liz Truss says she was schooled in Scotland, and considers herself a Unionist, it doesn’t bode well that she then alienates herself with her comments towards our First Minister.

I would prefer that we all stayed and worked together, but Westminster has made that impossible for reasons known only to them. If Scotland votes to move away from the UK, then thats perfectly ok with me. I do worry about the aftermath though :frowning_face:

4 Likes
2 Likes

The remarks Truss made about Sturgeon were not only rude and disrespectful but were also totally at odds with the other comments Truss had just made.

I think it shows just how hypocritical she is and how “sound bites” she doesn’t mean readily trip off her tongue.

How can she truly mean it when she says
“I feel like I’m a child of the union, that I really believe we are a family and we’re better together,”
then in the next breath, tell people that the First Minister of the devolved Parliament in Scotland should be ignored?

Truss must have some very strange “family values”!

2 Likes

Thanks Wishbone…it makes quite depressing reading :frowning_face:

1 Like

On the point about Independence, I feel it should be left to the people who live in each country to decide whether they want independence from the Union or not.

UK didn’t ask EU Parliament for permission to hold our Referendum on whether to remain a member of the European Union.
Scotland (or any other country within our Union) shouldn’t need the permission of the whole UK Union to hold a Referendum on whether to remain a member ***

In normal circumstances, it would seem daft for Scotland to have another Independence Referendum so soon after the last one - but when the last vote happened, they were voting to remain within the UK Union as part of the bigger European Union. I think when UK as a whole voted to leave the EU, whilst the majority of the Scottish Vote voted to remain, that was a big enough material change to warrant another Referendum if they want one.
If I lived in Scotland, I think I’d prefer to wait a few years longer to see how things settle down post-Brexit because it’s very early days still - but it shouldn’t be Westminster who decides if and when they could have a Referendum.
That is just not fair - I think Westminster should remain neutral and let the Scottish Parliament and Residents manage, fund and campaign on their own Indy Ref if they want one.

***(I know the Treaties re EU and the Acts of Union re UK mean that the legal process of breaking up UK is different to UK leaving EU, so my comments are just my opinion on what is morally right)

5 Likes

Thanks Boot! :+1:

I just want to stick in this link to help people get a better idea of what independence is all about as far as Scotland is concerned

1 Like

TUT TUT…Slurs against Scotlands FM from the wannabe PM who says She’s a unionist :roll_eyes:
BUT…keep it up Lizzie,You’ve just ‘upped’ the vote for an Independent Scotland…so…thanks a million :laughing:

3 Likes

Given that her male colleagues are agreeing with her, I think Scotland is pretty certain to get a majority vote should it ever come to pass. Its just getitng someone to sign that bit of paper off though.

2 Likes

In the wiki, it says that the polls have all favored independence until recently. Is there a reason for the change? Am I reading this correctly?

Scottish Independence

2 Likes

I always listen to the Kay Adams phone in 9 - 10am on Radio Scotland, I heard it on there this morning. The call in was all about those comments.
It’s also in the papers here’s a link.

Truss says best to ignore attention-seeking Sturgeon - BBC News

2 Likes

I think we can all agree Truss hasn’t made herself look good, but the next question I would have is - what can we do about it. Nicola will only double down on her efforts to secure a referendum date, and, while its a good thing, I worry that it might be at the expense of other issues we are dealing with.

3 Likes

Those who seek independence are still in favour of it, but I think recent events such as the pandemic, and everything else that’s going on, have taken priority. However, as you say, polls are showing a more “favoured” No vote…possibly as much as 55%. saying No. (Insecurity over the future?)

At the moment though, Nicola Sturgeon is just looking for permission to set a date for a referendum. Once she gets that, she can then set out policies and fly the flag, so to speak - which would swing the polls back in her favour. The fact that the UK government are just flat out not even entertaining the idea, is ridiculous, in my opinion. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes