Scotland's Bid for Independence

I agree that I don’t really think this is the time BUT, the SNP were elected on that promise and she has to keep it. You know the thing I have never understood is why Westminster holds on so tightly. What are they going to lose if we go? It’s not as simple as big brother saying no, just because they can. It goes deeper and they are going (imo) to lose something they are desperate to keep.
I also think it’s blooming ridiculous that another country has to give their permission. It’s crazy.
If it’s yes it’s yes and if it’s no then we stay, simple.

2 Likes

I think that Scotland should be allowed to hold a referendum, however perhaps the devil’s in the detail?
I hope that makes sense?

1 Like

I agree with both comments…I do wonder what their motive is for keeping us - well, its not even keeping us really…that’s up to us to decide. The fact they (Westminster) aren’t even entertaining the idea of setting a date, is deeply suspicious.

Are they scared of Wales following suit?

2 Likes

I have to ask myself “could Scotland survive as a seperate country without England”?
Lets consider what would happen .
First of all there would have to be border posts and passports to go whichever way in or out of Scotland.
Scotland would have to actually buy the rail infrastructure or rent for the use of. Then there is the health service , Scotland would have to maintain all its own health service and for that matter education as well. The submarine base would be moved to an English port resulting in hundreds of job losses. The state pension and all benefits ie housing- invalid to name but two would be squarely on the Scottish government to provide and its population to fork out of their earnings.

Now don’t get me wrong I have been to and love Scotland and its people. I don’t think before Scotland went independant the above these issues and more would be top of the priority list, but the SNP or Sturgeon deliberately fail to mention any of the above because they know full well which way a vote on independance would go

What I would ak our Scottish members is " would you be prepared to pay more in income tax and loose or get lets in benefits to cover the above??? "

1 Like

Thanks Realspeed for your thought out comment.

I agree that many things need to be ironed out in the points you make, and to be honest I can’t actually remember if Nicola Sturgeon did this fully, the first time round back in 2014. I hope she does this time, because it will inspire confidence and reassurance that it isn’t only about getting independence, but successfully moving forward after it has been established. I’m sure she has given all this some thought - I just haven’t looked for it yet.

Hi

Size matters when it comes to Trade Deals, we are better off together under normal, rational circumstances.

We are not in that position at the moment many parts of the UK want out of the London Centered Bubble.

Unfortunately we are set for more of rhe same., but even nastier.

1 Like

You would think, then, Swimmy, they would look to themselves to see the changes which need to be made, wouldn’t you! If everyone wants to be Independent, surely they (Westminster) have to realise something is very amiss within themselves.

But they won’t.

1 Like

Yes of course. This why the SNP are keen to end all doubts by asking for Full Fiscal Autonomy (FFA) as a devolved power . This will allow them to show that all the income generated in Scotland stays in Scotland and that Scotland doesn’t need the Barnett Formula funding from Westminster to keep the lights on.

Having FFA means that all the income from North Sea oil stays in Scotland. It will mean that Scotland can negotiate a fee with Westminster to pay for the matters that will continue to be provided at a national level such as defence.

It will mean Scotland can pay for more social benefits, higher pensions and fund the NHS better than it currently does.

The advantages of FFA will be it will showcase what an Independent Scotland will be like for all those doubters that think Scotland will struggle. Whilst there is minimal chance that it will not be a success, if by some small chance it isn’t, then Scotland still being part of the UK, and can reverse the decision and go back to the Barnett Formula. This is something that Scotland couldn’t do if it chose independence .

This is why FFA is front and centre of the SNP policy strategy. This is why it was included as a manifesto pledge for the SNP in 2021 for the Scottish Parliamentary Elections in the same way that a campaign for a 2nd referendum was. This is why the SNP constantly ask for FFA in Westminster. There is not a day that Ian Blackford doesn’t ask for it in Parliament. This is why there are constant debates in Holyrood about it and a vote to demand that Holyrood is given those powers immediately. This is also why SNP MSP’s are constantly tweeting about it and are constantly on social media drumming up support for the idea. This is also why there are demonstrations outside Holyrood from Scot Nats asking for it.

1 Like

At risk of being crass I suspect that the vast majority of us in the UK are well pissed off with Westminster,
make of that what you will.

1 Like

I can understand the Scotts wanting independence and if that is their choice who are we to deny them.
It isn’t as if they will be packing up the country and moving it somewhere else, it will still be there just over the border in all its beauty.

2 Likes

Of course it will Meg! Everyone is welcome, because it’s never about Scots - v - English or any of that rubbish (although some do try and make it like that to further their own agenda)

1 Like

I would much rather have England as a good friend and neighbour, than as our overseer and all the bad feelings that go with that.

2 Likes

Not much being said Scotland and a future in the EU!

Most recent I could find without paying for the article.

It’s of course up to the Scottish people to decide but I am hoping they will seek independence and rejoin the EU …and flourish.

Maybe that will knock some sense into all those who voted against themselves in Brex :poop:

3 Likes

Seems strange to me and maybe someone can explain The Scotish are strongly protective of Scotland, The Northern Irish are the same as are the Welsh. When it comes to the English everything changes and The English are not allowed to think the same way
Without England holding on to Scotland and Wales they would float away in respective seas
Of course there is a very good reason why they want independance it is all to do with the constant drafts up their kilts which somehow affects their brains. :rofl:

Sorry about that last bit only joking

The English are allowed to think that way though, they are just not encouraged to do so, because everything is so focused on London. :woman_shrugging: And you are correct about England holding onto Scotland and Wales - they panicked like mad in the last Scottish Referendum, the financial markets went into a mini meltdown, which also affected London, so yes…they worry a lot about Scotland becoming Independent.

1 Like

If I know Nicola She’ll be rubbing Her hands together with glee at that silly Womans remarks…Grist to the mill for Wee Nippy,
:wink:

2 Likes

Yes, but she won’t retaliate in kind…she’ll stash it away to bring it out at a later date, to much greater effect than if she were to say anything now!

1 Like

I’m thinkin’ She’ll just grin and put another notch on Her political belt,

1 Like