Premium Bonds - Are they a good investment?

Have held bonds from the early 70s, a few pounds to start with and have built them up to the max £30,000.

Last month had one win of £25

This month 5 £25 wins.

3 of the wins came from the same £5000 block.

Well done Galty! :023:

Well done Galty
I’ve just set up a £50 p m standing order for bonds so I’ll have to watch out for the postman at the start of the months now :slight_smile:
No harm in hoping!

Nice one!

I’m beginning to think it’s a waste - only had one £25 win! Tho, I don’t have anywhere near the amount you do :lol:

Cant remember what wins I’ve had but tried the idea of cashing them in and buying new ones, cos it was said more recent purchases were more likely to win. Did this 2 years ago and ‘‘nothing’’ still one can only hope.
Would like to win the ‘‘Million’’ then I could settle all my kid’s mortgage’s and have some left over for the Wife And Me.

Wonder why there’s difference on new/old - you’d think they just put all the numbers in and pick the winners randomly :-/

They are supposed to be picked randomly but I must admit I have often wondered. I have £100 of ‘old’ PB’s, purchased in the late 60’s and not one of them has ever won and yet most of my wins have been from bonds bought in the last 15 years.

I often say to my OH that mine must have got jammed in the old ERNIE when they replaced it! :mrgreen:

I am very tempted to cash the old ones in and reinvest them…

We were bought a £1 premium bond each when we were born, i was born in march 1957, none of us has never won anything and the £1 then was worth so much more than now. :frowning:

I think I’ve had mine for about 40 years and also some recent ones. I don’t know why I’ve bothered though I’ve not won a farthing. :cry:

I was looking at mine today because I had forgotten how many I had . The last two I bought unlike the old ones just look like bits of paper, not very impressive at all.

I used to win £50 quite regularly but have only had one win since they reduced the lowest prize to £25.

2 x £25 today!
I just love getting those envelopes from Glasgow and the ‘breath-holding’ moment whilst opening them.
Well, they certainly know where we are now; that is wins 2 and 3 for 2010 … just looking for the jackpot now! Or even 4 figures would be very nice :roll:

:cry::cry: Wouldn’t even know what the envelope looked like but am I bovvered? You bet.:lol:

Lol Val that made me :043:

Nice one DM!

I always check mine online on the third day after the draw - that way I’m not left wondering for almost three weeks if I’m going to receive an envelope or not …also if I have won it will tell me how many bonds and how much.:slight_smile:

I’m still waiting for the big one though!:lol:

Woo hoo!

Two wins this month … £50 and £25 :smiley:

Before the recession that would most likely have been £100 and £50 :roll: Never mind, I’m not grumbling as it’s better than nothing:mrgreen:

Nice one Mags! Did you check online or did it come through the post and surprise you? :slight_smile:

One £25 here
That’s brought the winnings up to the equivalent of tax-free interest on an ISA, so any more in the next 6 months will be ‘a bonus’

I checked it online here, Azz … you just need to enter your Holder’s Number.

Had two £25 ones this month.

When do you get notified by post if you’ve won? Think I’d rather have a surprise than have to go check online :lol: